SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 21 ft venture from 1978, we went out this weekend and I couldn't get the outboard to crank so I ran the trolling motor when the wind died. After about 4 hours of running my battery was completely dead. So I am looking into creating a power supply to run more than just the trolling motor and outboard. Does anyone have a good diagram? I have no electrical system in this boat what so ever. I will be wiring a VHF radio, cd/radio, 4 speakers, GPS, and the motors. Can you guys help me at all? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Photos, diagrams, whatever. I wanted to use solar power to charge my battery banks but I'm all new to this boat thing. I have don't plenty of car working before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

Not sure how far along you are here but as a music enthusiast, I'm wondering about the four speakers. Just FYI (or you may already know) if you are playing music in stereo (and not mono) and have two of the left or right channeled speakers facing the same direction or in relatively close proximity, it can sound unpleasant because of the identical waves overlapping. I'm thinking you're doing two speakers in the cabin and two in the cockpit in which case, you should be able to fully power one or the other and not both.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nigel Calder' s "BoatOwner's mechanical and electrical Manuel " or Casey's "this old boat " or Brotherton's "the 12volt bible for boats " should also be enough.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nigel Calder' s "BoatOwner's mechanical and electrical Manuel " or Casey's "this old boat " or Brotherton's "the 12volt bible for boats " should also be enough.

Cheers
Those are all fine books, but

Calder's too much for his uses

Casey isn't very good on basic electrical stuff - 2nd edition is way too old and wrong these days, don't know about the 3rd edition

Brotherton's too basic

Wing's book is by far the best for many, and especially for his needs.

Reactions: mitiempo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts