SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good read, and a great story:
With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic to Reach Father, 90

If you are beyond the free NYT articles you get, here is a taste (hopefully within copyright rules):

Days after Argentina canceled all international passenger flights to shield the country from the new coronavirus, Juan Manuel Ballestero began his journey home the only way possible: He stepped aboard his small sailboat for what turned out to be an 85-day odyssey across the Atlantic.

The 47-year-old sailor could have stayed put on the tiny Portuguese island of Porto Santo, to ride out the era of lockdowns and social distancing in a scenic place largely spared by the virus. But the idea of spending what he thought could be “the end of the world” away from his family, especially his father who was soon to turn 90, was unbearable.

So he said he loaded his 29-foot sailboat with canned tuna, fruit and rice and set sail in mid-March.

On April 12, the authorities in Cape Verde refused to allow him to dock at the island nation to restock his supply of food and fuel, said Mr. Ballestero.

Sailing can be a lonely passion, and it was particularly so on this voyage for Mr. Ballestero, who each night tuned into the news on a radio for 30 minutes to take stock of how the virus was rippling across the globe.

“I kept thinking about whether this would be my last trip,” he said.

While he didn’t get to celebrate his father’s 90th birthday in May, he did make it home in time for Father’s Day.

“What I lived is a dream,” Mr. Ballestero said. “But I have a strong desire to keep on sailing.”

·
Registered
454 Posts
What a story. Very well written. Thanks for posting this. I really like one quote in particular: “I was locked up in my own freedom,” he recalled.

One part crazy, one part romantic, one part perseverance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts