SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get it. It's all FM to me.

The water pressure pump quit working. I took it home to help myself order a new one. At home I connected it to my battery charger and it worked. Hmmmn. I checked the wiring on the boat with a multi-meter. At the pump location there is 12+ volts. I hook the pump back up - nothing? Take the pump back home - battery charger... works fine.

At this point I'm reluctant to order a new one until I figure this out.

Any ideas?

·
19,488 Posts
When you try it on the boat is it ' plumbed in'? or just hooked up electrically? Long shot but wondering if the pressure switch is somehow satisfied aboard and not at home...

Reactions: joehixon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No is the short answer. I just quick-hooked up the wires with a wire nut. At home with the charger, I just clipped the charger clips to the pump wires.

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
OK, following my mental fault isolation tree it looks like the next thing to check would be your float switch.

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
No is the short answer. I just quick-hooked up the wires with a wire nut. At home with the charger, I just clipped the charger clips to the pump wires.
I'm sure someone will come up with a better answer. But, if it was me, the next thing I would try is a jumper directly to my starter battery and see if that works.

·
19,488 Posts
OK, following my mental fault isolation tree it looks like the next thing to check would be your float switch.
Porf, it's his press water pump, not the bilge pump..;)

Another long shot, presumably, but quality connection in the boat? Polarity correct?

Reactions: joehixon

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
pressure pump for potable water? I wonder if you have enough amps to drive it on the boat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The batteries start my Perkin 4108, it should drive a 5 amp pump.

The problem occurred at the same time the feed hose from the tank let loose. Spouse was filling the tank with a hose and it may have over pressured.

Possible factors?:
Pressure in the pump from the tank hose
water on the pump and connections

But still, it works on a 12v 6amp battery charger. It has to be in the wiring. I will hook it up directly to the battery and see what happens.

·
19,488 Posts
A bad circuit breaker could give you a valid no-load voltage but not support a heavy current draw.. Keep your voltmeter attached when you next connect it..I'm guessing it sucks the line down..wiring, fuse, or breaker. Doubtful it's a battery issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't work a lot with electrics these days but aside from a battery and a battery charger both producing dc they may have little in common. First the voltage from the charger is higher than that of the battery during charging. Second the output from the charger maybe a pulsating dc and not steady voltage. Probably other issues but those two come to mind.

Right off I'd measure the voltage at the pump from the charger and compare it to the battery voltage.

As already mentioned I have had circuit breakers go out from being used as switches but just connecting the pump directly to the battery with jumper wires will show you if there is a problem with your wiring.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
hook it up to the pump wiring and also hook up the multi meter at the same time.read the voltage while trying to run the pump in the boat. it may be loose wiring and the volts drop to low to run the pump in the boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could it be a ground fault (leak?) I have newly installed bilge pumps ( which don't work very well.) Would a leak to ground in the bilge drop the current in the line sufficiently so that the pump wouldn't run?

The pressure pump quit when we had a fresh water hose let go and fill the bilge with water.

I just read how to check for ground leaks.

Measure voltage between the battery and red cable with all the load shut off.

If it is a leak at the new bilge pumps then I should see voltage in the test with the battery switch shut off because the bilge pumps (are supposed to be) wired to the battery.

I will try this and report back.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Joe

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Voltage is not a measure of current. If you have a dodgy connection (corroded, loose, etc.) you may still get a 12v reading but not enough current to drive an appliance.

Try measuring the voltage at the pump at the same time as switching it on. Don't be surprised if it drops almost altogether away.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
My guess is that you have a broken wire or corroded connection. As others have said, just because you have voltage with no load doesn't mean the circuit is capable of providing the current required to run the motor. Check the resistance of the conductors feeding the pump.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
joe, forget a bout ground faults, that's a phrase you heard on the internet where for no good rason it got real popular maybe two years ago. A ground fault is still just one kind of wiring fault and your problem is a wiring fault, forget about whether it is in the ground side or elsewhere.

You know the pump works. You know the battery works. So what else is left? Right, the wiring. ALL of the wiring. The wires, the breaker or fuse holder, the fuse, the switch. Whatever you've got. Test it all or just replace it all if the old stuff is cruddy. Somewhere, there is a broken or burnt out or corroded bit in between the battery and the pump, and that's a "wiring fault" which is preventing the power from making the round trip from your batteries to the pump and back again.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
what I was thinking in my previous post.. if it is an older pump, it's currant draw may be higher than when new due to wear and tear. There is a good possiblity that your current (sorry) wiring cannot supply the amperage needed to get the pump running. If that is the case, it should either trip a fuse or you might be looking at burning up some wires in the near future

You need to find out how many amps that pump is drawing. If it is higher than new, you need a new pump

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I'm sorry, I may have missed the part about the pressure switch:

Is it an external or integrated pressure switch? If it's external, have you verified that it's functional?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sounds to me like your wiring in the boat. I would try a heavier gauge wire as a jumper from your battery. See if that works. This may sound dumb but do you have it fused?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts