SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were nearly 20 applicants for only 50 mooring balls, and I was lucky enough to win one! Such joy when my postcard was pulled from the metal tumbler.

Soon I will be losing myself in the expansive 200 acres of Lake Nokomis. What hidden coves await me in the three miles of shoreline? I can't wait to sample the many gourmet wonders of the one (1) restaurant. My luxury yacht, with it's 19-feet of waterline, will propel me effortlessly the nearly third of a mile from beach to shining beach.

Truly, a summer of adventure awaits!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the win!

Er, with 20 applicants for 50 balls, it seems the odds of winning are pretty good.
Yeah, I think Lake Nokomis is the black sheep of the family of lakes here. The other two city sailing lakes get hundreds of applicants. People show up and fill the gym at a local rec center and hope that their postcard gets picked from the big metal tumbler, almost like they're calling bingo.

Then the drawing for Lake Nokomis comes. They gym empties out and only a dozen or so people remain. They still do the thing with the postcards and the tumbler, even though they have more than twice as many spots as they have applicants.

Whatever, the other lakes can have their fancy restaurants and clubs and bandshells and organized races! I get to have my boat a ten-minute bike ride from my house, and most of the time I'll have the lake to myself.

Does this make me a member of your bottom feeder club?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congratulations but don't get rid of the trailer. It is hard to beat traveling to and exploring new places. We spent a many wonderful weekends on our Catalina 22 exploring different bodies of water in Texas and Florida. The 22 is a great boat to have on a trailer. It is easy to pull, setup and launch.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations but don't get rid of the trailer. It is hard to beat traveling to and exploring new places. We spent a many wonderful weekends on our Catalina 22 exploring different bodies of water in Texas and Florida. The 22 is a great boat to have on a trailer. It is easy to pull, setup and launch.
Yeah, that's the scheme. Keep the boat moored nearby for short day sails, then tow it to bigger water for long weekends.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Why on Earth did they even build that bridge?
Because they could, and one of the local politicians had a relative on a road crew... obviously.

Boat close to home is a good thing!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good question.

I know that the lake used to be a swamp and sometime around World War One they dredged it to make a lake, so a better question might be why on earth did they build that little lobe of the lake on the other side of the highway?

I'm guessing it was some sort of bureaucratic stand-off between the park board and the highway department.

"We're building a lake there."

"Too bad, we already have a highway there."

"Well eff you, we're building a lake."

"Well eff you, we're keeping our highway."

"Fine."

"Fine."

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Good question.

I know that the lake used to be a swamp and sometime around World War One they dredged it to make a lake, so a better question might be why on earth did they build that little lobe of the lake on the other side of the highway?

I'm guessing it was some sort of bureaucratic stand-off between the park board and the highway department.

"We're building a lake there."

"Too bad, we already have a highway there."

"Well eff you, we're building a lake."

"Well eff you, we're keeping our highway."

"Fine."

"Fine."
That makes as much sense as anything, I suppose...

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Because someone creating the maps only had a straight ruler. Apparently there child came in afterwards and put in a squiggly line around the lake with there crayon. I don't think there are any streets around me that are that straight, we have too many hills. Heck my driveway is not that straight!

That bridge does seem to be quite a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Lucas Davenport found a body in the park in the lower left hand corner of the picture in one of the early books.
Shoot, now I have more books to read.

Anyway, maybe they built the bridge to keep the monster away from the rest of the lake. He lives in the lower left corner:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts