SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
hmm... sailboat jousting! I think there may be something to that :)

Smack, let me borrow your boat, i want to try something...

Reactions: smackdaddy

·
Registered
210 Posts
We're gonna need a bigger boat

·
Master Mariner
8,992 Posts
And folks on here don't understand why I get so upset at fools sailing through a congested anchorage, just to show off. Happened here yesterday, in very fluky winds (shifts of 180 degrees at times) on a Bavaria 44; single handing through a very congested anchorage.
ANYBODY can make a mistake and cause someone else a good deal of grief, and honestly, "Oops, sorry", really doesn't cut it when staring at a gaping hole in your hull.

·
Old Guy
47 Posts
I'm on the same page capta - I actually DO know how to sail my boat through a crowded anchorage, and if the engine conks out that's just what we'll do, including anchoring and getting underway (I've done it). But between possible gear failures, fouled lines, sudden wind shifts, and more nitwits on the water all the time who seemingly have no clue, I have adopted pretty careful approach to boat handling. C'est si bon.

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,992 Posts
I love the comparisons between high-performance inshore catamaran racing and... cruiser anchoring.
I wasn't comparing boats, pal; I was comparing the fools who sail them. Isn't any way either skipper of those cats is going to win the race, protest or not, so what was the point of it all? That is what I was comparing. Fools sailing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We got rammed 2 weekends ago by a cruiser while we were tied at the dock.
He's now replacing our tender, Davits, and paying for the labor.

He wasn't even sailing, it was motoring! Lost control in the current at the marina. His boat was appropriately named "Swift Current".

His boat looks way worst. The anchor and bow pulpit of the guy next to me destroyed his Bimini and solar panels, which collapsed over the helm station. Oh and I don't think he'll be getting a satellite signal anytime soon.

Guess my point is accidents happen, it's about experience and control. Can I sail through an anchorage, probably. But I think there's more of a safety margin if I use the engine and bow thrusters. So in a crowded environment (engine problem aside) why wouldn't I want to?

Ps- to the Canadians of "swift current"--- no hard feelings.

·
Registered
668 Posts
suspect if a couple of cruisers to even get to those speeds we would have seen more damage.
A few years back I was racing on a boat (a cruiser/racer type) and we T-boned another cruiser/racer type boat while going about 7-8 kts. Surpriningly there was not to much damage to either boat though the other boat retired. We were both racing at another regatta 2 weeks later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts