SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on if this marine grade ply is refinishable? Or a complete replace ?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
I dont think you can refinish it, however you might be able to peel off the teak veneer and just replace that.

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
I've had great luck stripping off the varnish on the bad areas, sanding it lightly, then using a wood stain to get it back to the proper color. Then revarnish.

·
Registered
759 Posts
As Steve Bateman said... Find the leak. Remove the port and rebed it, or fix the gasket, or whatever it needs.

As Capta said... "I've had great luck stripping off the varnish on the bad areas, sanding it lightly, then using a wood stain to get it back to the proper color. Then revarnish." Just be really careful with the sanding. The teak veneer is thin, really thin. And, you may need to bleach the teak with Clorox or oxalic acid to remove any black mildew.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree that step one is to be certain that any leaking has been remedied.

And, I'm with pdqaltair on this...consider painting it. I see no reason why we have to be slaves to the aesthetic of varnished veneers. A lot of classic wooden yachts had mostly painted interiors with some varnished trim.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or paint it.
This. Remove ports. Strip. Sand. Fill. Paint. Saturating epoxies and epoxy paints are made for this kind of work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No not yet
As Steve Bateman said... Find the leak. Remove the port and rebed it, or fix the gasket, or whatever it needs.

As Capta said... "I've had great luck stripping off the varnish on the bad areas, sanding it lightly, then using a wood stain to get it back to the proper color. Then revarnish." Just be really careful with the sanding. The teak veneer is thin, really thin. And, you may need to bleach the teak with Clorox or oxalic acid to remove any black mildew.
Thanks much for thoughts. Ive just never seen anything like it/bubbling varnish

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've seen bubbling from heat, from strippers (solvents), and from failure of an upper coat to adhere properly to the coat below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts