One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Fast compared to what?

Compared to a modern full out racing boat - there is no comparison
Compared to a modern performance boat - not even in the same ball park.
Compared to a modern performance cruiser - no not really
Compared to a modern full keel cruiser - probably

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fast compared to what?

Compared to a modern full out racing boat - there is no comparison
Compared to a modern performance boat - not even in the same ball park.
Compared to a modern performance cruiser - no not really
Compared to a modern full keel cruiser - probably
That's right Greg; old wooden boats could never be fast........

Smile Eighty-year old wooden full keel boat beats new "Interesting Boats" in Transpac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dorade, a 1930 wooden 52' full keel S&S design corrected to 1st place in the fleet in the 2013 Transpac: Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

Read the results and weep, all followers of the "Interesting Sailboats" thread!

On elapsed time, (that is real time) boat for boat, Dorade beat a Jeanneau 44 Sleeper, a Tripp 40 Sansari, and a Beaneateau 47.7 La Sirena !!!

Dorade is:
1. 80 years old;
2. Wooden;
3. a yawl; and,
4. Full/deep keel.

Again, like the "Classic Plastic Smokes the Fleet.." thread ( Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race ) wherein a 40-year-old Hobie 33 beat the living daylights out of some larger, modern boat show boats, is is just possible that all the advances in sailboat design and technology are merely incremental, and a good old boat can still kick arse in the right conditions?

Let's hear the excuses in support of the boat show boats!

Let's hear from those who say deep/full keel boats are slow!

Let's hear from those who say new, modern sailboats are faster in all respects!

BTW, Dorade, at 52' in length, has a beam of only 10'3", about the same as a modern 30' boat-show sailboat (no sugar scoop transom, aft shower or double berth under the cockpit!).

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fast, as in design of the hull. the keel is quite narrow.. hollow and the ballast keel is on the very bottom, which is very desirable in racing if I'm not mistaken. not saying it's a race boat. the design seems so up to date for an old boat. The swept back design of the fin. the very different looking rudder.
26ft, so it's not big by any means.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
That hollow keel is very odd.. but it seems the owner got ahold of the boat just in time before things got very expensive

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Nothing about that boat looks fast. It may get moving ok on a reach given enough wind, but by modern standards it is likely a pig on every other point of sail!

You don't buy a boat like that for it's performance, you buy it because you like the style. (To each their own I guess!)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Okawbow,

Dorade is a wonderful ship, and I have absolutely nothing to say but praises for her. But let's look at reality a sec. First she started in the slow boat class, so had a one week head start over the fast boats. This year that happened to be huge, since the wind died for the fast boats, forcing them to sail over 1000 miles further than the slow boat class, who got to carry the Pacific cyclone all the way to Hawaii. Secondly she didn't beat a single modern racer boat for boat.

Dorade has an elapsed time of 293:23:18 (hours:minutes:seconds)versus the slowest elapsed time of division 1 (remember they sailed about 1000 miles more) of 212:29:50. The fast boat did it in an elapsed time of 188:49:51. Almost four days faster despite sailing much further.

See http://www.transpacyc.com/docs/2013racedocs/daily_stndings/TP2013_final_standings.pdf for final standings.

See TRANSPAC: Classic Dorade likely to win Overall Title >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News for a conversation about the weather.

·
Master Mariner
8,533 Posts
It looks like it would be a very wet boat. The high cabin could indicate it was built more for comfort than speed, but she does have less wetted surface than most boats of her vintage.
But having owned a wooden William Hand gaff ketch built in 1909, which I sailed through the South Seas for 5.5 years, captained of one built in 1906 and have crewed on several wooden vessels built before 1900, I would suggest you think quite seriously about investing in an older woody. The art of bringing of a boat like that back and taking care of her is fast disappearing. I recently met a graduate of a prestigious New England wooden boat building school who was apparently taught to put the oakum into the seams after the cotton; 100% wrong!
If you have the skills, money and patience, by all means go for it and you may end up with a vessel no plastic or metal boat can match in sea kindliness and richness.

·
Registered
537 Posts
To me it looks like it would be fast in relative for it's length and weight, but who cares - you're going to look so good sailing it, it won't matter how fast you're going! Also, people are going to want to come along side and take pictures, so it wouldn't be fair if you were going so fast they couldn't catch up!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Capta, It's not my boat, a guy is restoring it, got it nearly free, and it's nearly rot free... PO thought 5200 would hold the planks on... was sadly mistaken.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, that boat looks fast just sitting there! Great lines. And let's get real, we are in sailboats so fast is all relative. If you are going to go slow at least look good doing it!

·
2,447 Posts
How big of a smile she puts on your face is far more important than an extra half knot of boat speed -- unless you're a racer and then you're not looking at this boat anyway.

How a boat makes you feel is an intangible but it just may be her most important attribute...

·
Registered
19 Posts
She may not be super fast but that's a really pretty hull in my book. She has a tight turn at the bilges for that style of boat. Might give her a bit more stability. I would rather work on a project like this than the ferro 60 in the other thread. At least at the end you would have a cool boat.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is a pretty boat. The owner definitely "scored" on this one. Hope he doesn't loose interest like so many.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts