SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sailnet,

I am the proud owner of a 1960s Finn dinghy, with a grooved wooden mast that has split slightly along part of the groove.

Has anyone fixed a similar wooden split before? We are thinking there is some epoxy approach to patch the split together, and then rasp it down to make the sail slide again.

The Finn is my practice sailing again project. There is a local portsmouth racing group here in the South Puget Sound, and I hope to dork around there. I have hear the boat is hard to sail, but we have such light air that I am not worried aabout it....

Sorry, but I don't have pictures at the moment. Later.

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
wsprague,

I'm having a hard time forming a mental picture of your problem -- perhaps while we're waiting for the pics a little more info would help...

How long is the crack? A short crack could be an easy fix; longer ones probably not so easy.

How wide is the crack? A hairline crack will need a different approach than a more open one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've had the joint between the two halves of a wooden mast split at the forward end of the slot that boltrope goes in. I used thin wedges to get the two halves apart, scraped out the failed resorcinol glue, and glued it back together with epoxy. If you undertake this be sure that the mast is straight when you glue it together. Alternatively you could glue it back together with resorcinol glue but it's very messy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts