SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
There's a very good chance you'll get into trouble without some form of auxiliary power in that particular area.

I just acquired a Pearson Triton that's had the engine removed and the prop aperture glassed over. A friend of mine is going to let me use his mooring in Wood's Hole for the summer. I'm not that familiar with the area but I've heard that the currents there can be dangerous. My friend (a motorboat guy) seems to think I will run into issues sailing around there without an engine. If I play the tides right is getting in and out of there possible without an engine?

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
We're talking about an area that has VERY STRONG currents most of the time. I've seen 30' sailboats under sail in the area sitting in place because they weren't able to make progress under sail. The current can approach 4 knots regularly.

I have never sailed in that region. But I did sail a boat for a summer without an engine. It just takes some thought and a willingness to pay attention to your own rules about wind and weather.

Lets remember that the British Navy blockaded the French Coast for about 23 years in sailing ships significantly less weatherly than out modern sloops.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.