SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Barquito
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are in cities or states with 'shelter in place' rules, are you still working on your boat? Wisconsin has exceptions for a lot of transportation needs, including shipping. Our boat yard has interpreted this as including recreational boat yards. Should I feel guilty about going out to work on my boat? We actually have a magnetic card to get in, so, would probably not see another human being. Still...

Keep conversation to this narrow topic. Other COVID talk can go into the off-topic sub-forum thread.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
We just received clarification that we can work on our boats. Social distancing rules apply. That shouldn't be a problem.

Store will deliver orders to car or boat. No one allowed inside.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Working on my boat at my yacht club. No issues or limitations at this point. Staff is limited as to what they can do, but "maintenance" is permitted. Our workdays scheduled for April are on hold, so club will look pretty ratty on Commissioning Day in May.

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
Since my boat is at my home...I don't have to worry so much, now having buddies come over and help, that's not happening so much. We have a state mandated lockdown...

·
Lake Sailor
1,123 Posts
Still ice on the lake, will probably go out during our next 14 days of stay at home that starts tonight. I could go grab the boat as it is very close but, I want to be sure we will be able to launch in the next couple of weeks. Any and all work I will just do myself. Launch day could be interesting. A good friend of mine and I can get both our boats launched just the two of us, so that is a viable option.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Has any state really put such a strict requirement, ie, you may not leave your house except for an exact defined list?

I think there are hotspots, such as NYC, that are asking people not to leave their houses, but not sure it's law.

We are permitted to be in the marina, but can not access any building and must remain six feet from all others. That's pretty easy to do. In fact, working on the boat is no different than working at home, as long as one practices proper hygiene and social distancing.

We just went in the water. I'm going to give it a few days for any virus applied to surfaces of the boat, by yard crew, to die and then I'm going down to live and work aboard, while being strict about hygiene and distancing. I see no difference to being home.

·
11,803 Posts
MD today made an exemption for marinas and marine businesses. Before today it was not compliant.

The rationale was They didn’t want swarms of boaters descending on quiet neighborhoods and to keep them protected

·
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor
216 Posts
The marina that I keep my boat on land in the winter shut down on Monday, but reopened on Friday. Since I was there on Friday, and my boat was ready I was able to get launched.

April is going to be far worse than March so there will be far more restrictions coming in the next few weeks. If you are on land right now and can get launched, get launched.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Being on a boat just seems like a safe place to be. Except for shared bathroom facilities in marinas.. that may increase the hazard risk.
My boat feels like its own little germ free citadel. Quite happy here for as long as it takes. And if I was in the tropics it would be an anchorage. :)

·
11,803 Posts
The issue could be though in the Quiet area where there is no cases where people from an infected area who are carriers with no symptoms come to the marina to work on their boats. The use the carts, Pedestals, water faucets, rest rooms, stop at the gas stations .

The shelter in place was to prevent spread. If you don’t go anywhere significantly different it keeps the virus somewhat contained.

In the Annapolis area marinas people from DC, Pa, Virginia, Baltimore . There are literally thousands of sailboats around. And thousand of power boats

People could either bring the virus, or get it at the marina and take it back to their quiet little unaffected communities.

This is the whole negative part of releasing some areas from the ban on travel from others.

One thing is obvious this virus has no borders. Will be around for years to come. Hopefully next virus season there is a vaccine. But I think it’s foolish to think because right now. Your community has no confirmed cases ( remember there still is very very little testing compared the the population numbers) it will stay that way.

This virus as all do show an ability to reach everywhere. Podunk , Wyoming, backwoods Maine, Montana, Alberta, are not exempt just because right now you don’t have any cases. That breeds a false sense of security.

If you are traveling to work on your boat and not isolating in place, be very very carful of not just getting the virus but potentially spreading it. No one wants to be CAPTAIN COOK.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Despite the Lock down I could probably get to the boatyard to work on the boat if I wanted. It's only about a 15 minute drive. There is no gate. But, I've got plenty of things at home to keep me busy. Just laid out 30 feet of Sunbrella fabric on the lawn and marked it out for a new sail cover. Today I plan on cutting the patterns out before starting to sew it up. Had the material for two years finally getting started on it thanks to the Pandemic.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Good points Chef.

Speaking for me only....

The only reason I would leave is to shop for food. And what I am finding is that the markets are places where people are in too close contact. And that seems almost unavoidable unless a strict protocol is followed. Even check out you are only a few feet from the employee. So I am using an 95 and gloves which I dispose of when I return home. We leave our shoes just inside the door and wear socks, slippers or bare feet inside.

I have to care for my sister's needs. She does have 24/7 aids (4 different ones) but they do not shopping. I can't control what they do when they are not on duty. And I occasionally come in contact with a neighbor in the elevator.. but not much. I don't use the mask in the building's public spaces.

++++

Shiva is in-water winter store in a condo complex in Stamford, where there is none of the usual marina or boat yard features except a bathroom... which I do not use. And very very very very few people on their docks. Shiva is not even close to another boat! Spring commissioning work is minimal... fill water tanks, do a wash of the cockpit and decks... paint the dink bottom, re mount the helm and cockpit table and replace some running rigging (not mission critical), and recommission the diesel. All this work is less than a a few short afternoons of work.

Once the Spring work is done I would sail the 60 or so NM east to the summer mooring in Old Lyme CT when the weather forecast is favorable and take an Uber back to my car in Stamford wearing protection in the Uber.

After that my sailing is pretty much isolated. I bring provisions from home... sail and anchor and then return to my mooring and then home. I can use the OLM launch or social distance by using my dink. I'll use the dink to take Jack for his walk to empty his holding tanks. :)

I think my fuel level is OK, but I can bring a 5 gal can if the fuel dock is not in operation.

When and if the social distancing thing is suspended I can do shore side activities such as shopping or taking a meal ashore...

This is not very different from my normal boating use... and hope I can continue in the time of corona.

We'll see.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
At the end of the week, RI Gov signed an exec order requiring anyone entering the State with NY license plates to give their addresses and self-quarantine for 14 days. There are a ton of second homes and boats in RI owned by people from NY.

If a State wanted to close it's borders completely, I suppose I'd get the point. However, this sounds stupid. Even in the hotspot of NYC, given a 10x multiplier of known to likely cases, the vast minority of the population is actually infected. For that matter, much of NY state has a lower infection rate than RI. The far western end of NYS is about twice as far away from NYC than RI is.

The fear is getting ridiculous. This is simply the typical ill conceived "I'm doing something" politicians. The ACLU is pushing back that singling out one entire state violates the constitution and I think it does. Folks in the Adirondacks, 10 feet form the VT boarder, are no greater risk than their neighbors down the street in VT, but are being treated differently.

We all need to practice social distancing, we all need to wash hands, etc. You don't need to quarantine for 14 days, because of your license plate. This virus is not a certain death sentence, but it's being made out like it is.

·
11,803 Posts
Good points Chef.

Speaking for me only....

The only reason I would leave is to shop for food. And what I am finding is that the markets are places where people are in too close contact. And that seems almost unavoidable unless a strict protocol is followed. Even check out you are only a few feet from the employee. So I am using an 95 and gloves which I dispose of when I return home. We leave our shoes just inside the door and wear socks, slippers or bare feet inside.

I have to care for my sister's needs. She does have 24/7 aids (4 different ones) but they do not shopping. I can't control what they do when they are not on duty. And I occasionally come in contact with a neighbor in the elevator.. but not much. I don't use the mask in the building's public spaces.

++++

Shiva is in-water winter store in a condo complex in Stamford, where there is none of the usual marina or boat yard features except a bathroom... which I do not use. And very very very very few people on their docks. Shiva is not even close to another boat! Spring commissioning work is minimal... fill water tanks, do a wash of the cockpit and decks... paint the dink bottom, re mount the helm and cockpit table and replace some running rigging (not mission critical), and recommission the diesel. All this work is less than a a few short afternoons of work.

Once the Spring work is done I would sail the 60 or so NM east to the summer mooring in Old Lyme CT when the weather forecast is favorable and take an Uber back to my car in Stamford wearing protection in the Uber.

After that my sailing is pretty much isolated. I bring provisions from home... sail and anchor and then return to my mooring and then home. I can use the OLM launch or social distance by using my dink. I'll use the dink to take Jack for his walk to empty his holding tanks. :)

I think my fuel level is OK, but I can bring a 5 gal can if the fuel dock is not in operation.

When and if the social distancing thing is suspended I can do shore side activities such as shopping or taking a meal ashore...

This is not very different from my normal boating use... and hope I can continue in the time of corona.

We'll see.
Should remove gloves before getting back in the car otherwise potentially infecting steering wheel

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Should remove gloves before getting back in the car otherwise potentially infecting steering wheel
When I use gloves on the boat I wear two pairs... and peel off the outer one when it gets messed up. I will have to do the same... but with boat work you can SEE the muck.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Those of you who are in marinas and plan on living aboard, are pump out boats running or do you have operating pump out facilities?

I cannot get to my boat but it's giving me lots of time for home improvements as I closed on a house three weeks ago. If it wasn't for the financial hit this would be perfect timing. :)

1 - 20 of 137 Posts