SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
11,803 Posts
I wonder that you have not already discovered that yours is a much different definition of hard than most.
No yours is the situation that is much different from most of us in the USA.
90% of US citizens are under STAY AT HOME edicts. That constitutes a majority. So your statement is factually untrue.

I’m not sure why you need to comment on the US situation from afar removed from it. Canadian laws and rules are different, nor would I feel I had the right to speak out against them as I’m not a Canadian.

Hopefully if you are lucky you may escape this, but it’s worldwide. It only takes one infected person to travel to your neighborhood and infect everyone quickly. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. The suffering many of us are seeing is heartbreaking.

The 90% majority in the US , including our doubting president, are willing to sacrifice a little freedom of movement so as to protect out citizenry. That should be ok for you in Canada as it doesn’t impact you.

We are fighting a war. A monster unseen. Americans tend to draw together when this happens and we all galvanize to work together.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
No yours is the situation that is much different from most of us in the USA.
90% of US citizens are under STAY AT HOME edicts. That constitutes a majority. So your statement is factually untrue.

I’m not sure why you need to comment on the US situation from afar removed from it. Canadian laws and rules are different, nor would I feel I had the right to speak out against them as I’m not a Canadian.

Hopefully if you are lucky you may escape this, but it’s worldwide. It only takes one infected person to travel to your neighborhood and infect everyone quickly. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. The suffering many of us are seeing is heartbreaking.

The 90% majority in the US , including our doubting president, are willing to sacrifice a little freedom of movement so as to protect out citizenry. That should be ok for you in Canada as it doesn’t impact you.

We are fighting a war. A monster unseen. Americans tend to draw together when this happens and we all galvanize to work together.

Chill Dude. I was addressing the level of difficulty of putting the pubic interest over one's own and questioning it being characterized as "not hard." It is hard. Canadian culture, American culture, pretty much any western culture has inculcated us with the premise that personal freedom is sacrosanct. Depending on your personality type it ranges from "hard" to "near impossible" to go against that kind of training.

I've said previously that I intend to obey any laws or mandates imposed on me by the authorities—I havent been out of the house except for groceries in almost 2 weeks. It doesn't mean it's easy, for me or anyone else. Sacrifice never is. So let's not call it easy eh?

·
11,803 Posts
Nope it’s not easy.....for anyone . Understand.

Wife just texted me. She a newborn delivery nurse. They are requiring them as of today to wear masks, full face shield, double glove as of today.

We decide that every 2-3 days we’d bake a new/ fresh dessert together to break up the shut in feeling. I eat no carb no sugar added . So many made with almond and coconut flour.

She’s got so many flowers planted she’s cutting them and bringing inside .

Lucky though we have our health and a nice place to live.i feel thanful🙂

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I did not mean actually taking the necessary measures is easy.

Just that discerning what is your personal selfishness, as opposed to what is actually the minimum essential activity, should be easy

but of course not for everyone,

especially if you've bought into mainstream social programming from the more individualistic societies, and

consume slanted corporate broadcasting or dog forbid social media for your "information".

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Some extraordinarily bad reporting, as usual. 90% of US citizens live in States with some form of shelter-in-place rules. The rules all vary, including the terminology. However, all have essential business exceptions, and exceptions for being outside for exercise, groceries and a number of other activities. In the end, I doubt even half the population is really staying home most of the time. I do believe most are making the effort to social distance, when away from home.

Last week, I had to cross the street, to keep people from walking too close. Now, everyone seems to make the same effort.

This brute force approach was all they had, because hospitals and government, at all levels, were caught flat footed. In the next episode, and they occur every decade or so, we are certainly going to figure out a more sophisticated approach than full shut down. The financial cost of this one will motivate.

You can drive down to the local park and take a walk, even under shelter in place rules, but you can't drive to the marina and sit on your boat? That's an overreaction. In complete sincerity, I think taking some time to sit on or tinker with one's boat is good for mental health, which should also matter.

·
11,803 Posts
Some extraordinarily bad reporting, as usual. 90% of US citizens live in States with some form of shelter-in-place rules. The rules all vary, including the terminology. However, all have essential business exceptions, and exceptions for being outside for exercise, groceries and a number of other activities. In the end, I doubt even half the population is really staying home most of the time. I do believe most are making the effort to social distance, when away from home.

Last week, I had to cross the street, to keep people from walking too close. Now, everyone seems to make the same effort.

This brute force approach was all they had, because hospitals and government, at all levels, were caught flat footed. In the next episode, and they occur every decade or so, we are certainly going to figure out a more sophisticated approach than full shut down. The financial cost of this one will motivate.

You can drive down to the local park and take a walk, even under shelter in place rules, but you can't drive to the marina and sit on your boat? That's an overreaction. In complete sincerity, I think taking some time to sit on or tinker with one's boat is good for mental health, which should also matter.
Always looking for the work around vs being satisfied with how good we have it. It isn’t a big imposition that we all STAY IN PLACE in order to do our parts to prevent the spread together as a country.

I’m sure the people in the communities where the marinas are located don’t want an influx of boatowbers (tourists) , just sitting on their boat.

Your reasoning could be used for the beach goers too , who want to take a trip to a small beach community promising they would sit 6 ft away from others. In their minds they are socially isolating.

Most people People where I live are following the stay in place rules. I went to the grocery store today and took the Baltimore beltway, something I would not usually do. At 10:30 it’s was ghost empty. I disagree with your 50% statement of people following this. In our area it seems much greater than that. I think seeing the suffering on TV has had an effect on people. I think worrying about their friends and neighbors in health care or first responders and seeing their fears strikes a cord.

Watching people like my wife go to work in essential jobs fearing getting infected has a sobering effect and kind of trivializes whining about tinkering on my boat. Today she sent me a picture of her double gloved, gowned, plastic shield , mask in a newborn baby area......

There are other things good for your head to do while staying at home. I don’t buy that we have become so spoiled we have to go to our boat and “tinker”. Our life doesn’t revolve around the boat entirely. ( while yes I would like to go down as our boat is already ready for her shakedown, now delayed)

One thing my friends are all saying, some with kids, and others with grown kids, is that this has created more bonding and talking between the family or couple. They have spent more time talking and listening and playing with each other. Maybe this will be a by product of this.

My wife and I have decided we will make together a low sugar low carb dessert every three days or so. It gets us doing something together.

I think to how spoiled I really am with a nice place to live that it is not a true hardship to STAY AT HOME.i wonder about the less fortunate among us who would here us whining about us wanting to work around the governors edict to go play on our boats vs our nice houses.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I don't want to nit pick... and I have no intention to visit my boat...

However... If I were to do it.... I would encounter no one as I go down to my garage and drive for less than a half hr to the condo complex in Stamford - Schooner Cove. There I would park in their parking lot where I've rarely ever seen a soul and walk a few hundred feet through their empty common garden to the ramp and then 75' to my boat passing only a single 22 foot boat the owner of which I have never seen.

Even when there is no lock down I encounter no one unless I stop at Dunkin Donuts or West Marine... which I would not do this spring.

I use PPE when I am not in the car but outside my home.

I would encounter fewer (none at all) people than I do when grocery shopping.

My case is likely very different from the typical boat owner whose boat is in a marina or stored on the hard... a fairly busy place in the Spring.

++++

At the boat I would recommission the engine, stow food / provisions I bring, recommission the water system and fill the water tanks.... wash/clean the boat, maybe paint the dink bottom (can be postponed as it's clean)...put the OB on the pushpit, reconnect the helm and cockpit table, stow a new boat hook/pole on deck, clean and water treat the dodger and clean the glass, maybe clean the cockpit teak (can be postponed).

++++

I don't see sailing and anchoring as a violation of the social distancing directive.

I won't move Shiva to her summer mooring because I don't know if it is set. Were it set I could pick it up, take the dink to shore, tie it up and call an Uber to take me back to my car in Stamford wearing PPE... Then drive home.

After that I would drive to Old Lyme, park the car and take the dink... encountering no one again.

I consider doing this a positive thing.... and I am not being subject to the virus to subjecting anyone else to it.

++++

Should I assume or not.... that there is virus which was airborne and landed on the boat making it risky to touch without gloves?

·
11,803 Posts
Suppose everyone devised a plan to visit their boats or the beach...they all had their work around with justifications . Your actions show leadership for your fellow citizens either positive or negative.

That kind of thinking is why the Governor of Maryland imposed STAY AT HOME and in Maryland - NO RECREATIONAL BOATING. He knew everyone would have an angle to circumvent the specific langue of STAY AT HOME - unless essential services which are defined ( working on or moving your boat is not one of them)

I think the Governor of NY Cuomo is right in step with Hogan of Maryland or vice versa. His blunt NY style news conferences express that.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Suppose everyone devised a plan to visit their boats or the beach...they all had their work around with justifications . Your actions show leadership for your fellow citizens either positive or negative.

That kind of thinking is why the Governor of Maryland imposed STAY AT HOME and in Maryland - NO RECREATIONAL BOATING. He knew everyone would have an angle to circumvent the specific langue of STAY AT HOME - unless essential services which are defined ( working on or moving your boat is not one of them)

I think the Governor of NY Cuomo is right in step with Hogan of Maryland or vice versa. His blunt NY style news conferences express that.
If you are directed this at me.... NO I haven't devised a plan... I have conveyed what my usual Spring prep experience is and how I have no social contact and therefore would be at little to no risk to expose someone or be exposed to the virus. I have no plans to go to the boat because... among other things... there is no NEED to get this work done and I like to do this in fair and warmish weather. And of course there is a directive to stay inside.

·
11,803 Posts
Jeff,

Not directed at you my friend.. I’d have used your name🙂
Besides I PM you and knew your intentions

Stay safe buddy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
SD is working, plus maybe testing rates getting better.

Case load only up by under 15% overnight! A week ago was doubling.

Deaths still going up faster, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
And no, you should not be driving to go hang out at your local park.
Even in NYC, the parks remain open and acceptable to go for fresh air or exercise. No group sports, six foot separation. I really don't follow why some think social distancing requires sitting solely in one's house. It's scientifically unnecessary. Stay 6 feet away, sanitize your hands, don't touch your face. If one doesn't think they can manage, then by all means, stay home.

Perhaps some live in rural areas, with acres of isolated back yard to get outside, or a walk down the driveway to get the mail. Many live in apartment buildings, or condominium complexes, with little to no outdoor space to separate.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/about/health-and-safety-guide/coronavirus

Updated: Thursday, April 2 at 9:30 a.m.

The World Health Organization has declared the COVID-19 disease, known as the coronavirus, a pandemic. During this time, we ask that all park goers use additional precautions to protect their health and safety and that of those around them.

At this time, City parks are open. We ask that all park goers take extra precautions to stay healthy and safe. While solo exercise is okay, team sports (such as basketball, football, softball, and soccer) are not permitted in our parks at this time. Please maintain at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others when outside and avoid congregating in groups.

Our park restrooms are open. We are cleaning our restrooms daily with appropriate cleaning products to ensure that they are being fully disinfected.
Parks are closed in RI, but are still open in MA, CT and NY, with social distancing required.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I meant travel, other than walking.

But yes, depends on the place and how well distancing actual is policed

I can't believe NYC hasn't cracked down more, stupid. You telling me, no pickup games, no drug dealing, no sex in the bushes ATM?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Sadly, read up on concerns over increases in domestic abuse, with heightened shelter in place restrictions.

I've kidded my wife repeatedly, while we watch Law and Order SVU, that she is the only woman on earth that hasn't been abused, never even threatened, and I should get some sort of special credit. She doesn't think it's funny.

Domestic violence is also perpetrated on children and now they can't get away. Worse, they say the abuser is typically triggered by feelings of insecurity, which are likely amplified right now. All I'm saying is that these policies are not well thought out. We need a much better approach, which must also be effective, but isn't simple minded to the overall impact.

·
11,803 Posts
Negative spins and topics don’t contribute to making this situation better. Yes it is realistic but I prefer also to look at some silver linings of this . It’s depressing enough with the death toll. Some on here are just negative posters always thinking or bringing up topics of concern. Not the stuff you want to hear if constantly. I’m trying to look at positive outcomes.

Many families and couples are reporting a new bonding and positivity Coming from facing this epidemic shut off from others in their family unit together. Families have deeper conversations , having fun on mutual tasks, enjoying each other’s company . Fathers and mothers trying to do some active teaching with their kids.

Maybe somehow this enforced extra close time together will lead to building or strengthening some relationships. It’s amazing that my FB page friends are showing new great positive family pictures.

We need to laugh more. Reading all the negative stuff is easy but it also depresses you in a situation which is depressing . We are trying to watch one comedians one hour routine every day. It feels good to just laugh amongst all the sadness. It is also psychologically important.

A friend of mine has taken up the ukalele. He is doing this in real time on Facebook. He is terrible but getting better. It’s funny and inspiring at the same time.

Another friend of mine has decided to make masks with his kids. Not for sale or use but just to have fun and maybe for personal use when we get to everyone wearing them. Some are quite creative with graphics.

Another friend of mine has taken this extra time to repainting rooms ...involving the entire family. The kids are getting to choose their room colors and designs with major input. Great outcome

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Unfortunately we are isolated from the grand children which is not a good thing for them or us.

Being home all day with little to do it's a great opportunity to do some deep cleaning and rounding up all the clothes you never wear and which someone less fortunate can use. Since I basically "work from home" and have little need for anything other that very casual clothes... it's time to pare way down. I wish wifey would do the same. If you haven't worn something in the last 12 months... get rid of it!

++++

I have had more time to reflect on many of the assumptions of how America works... ALERT>>>> this is a bit political.... but isn't everything political on one level?

Virtually all individuals have to rely on large structures to get through life... things like rails systems, roads, communications, entertainment, air travel, police, fire fighting, medical care, education, food and the list goes on. Very few live off the grid and can "fend" for themselves and prosper. Those that do have a very Walden Pond like existence. And very few CAN live off the grid.

These large structures are meant to serve the people. And the main "organizing" structure is government which in the USA is supposed to represent the people. But USA is so large that it's has a complex government structure... which includes, state and local governments. So there is both separation and overlap. And of course not all localities have the same needs and conditions.

Probably makes sense to have some national "standards" and "practices" for some of these large structures... things like construction standards, buildings, bridges and roads... product "safety" standards and so on. Yet government produces very little. Production and provision of "services" is given to the private sector. This means that the private sector needs to be regulated and conform to "government standards". But the private sector is the engine of the economy. It provides work. It also provides profits to the owners of the companies in the private sector. It appears to me that this is we are often getting into trouble. Profits often mean driving down cost of production or services, and "cutting corners". Business wants a government hands off approach... extolling the idea that the market will find the best solutions. This has bright us things like... for profit education, health care and prisons to name a few.

Insurance is a concept where the many share the risk and in so doing can lower the cost. But it seems like the profit driver in insurance has become so expensive... and in the case of medicine driven costs up not down.

What about the for profit Pharma industry where many products are developed with federal grants and then turned into extremely expensive /profitable products? And the practice of denying people from importing the same products sold a fraction of the cost?

Why are hospitals for profit? Isn't what a hospital provides... a basic human need? Hospitals are apparently turning away patients who don't have insurance and can't pay their high prices. The first question I am asked when I call a doctor is... What insurance do you have?

So perhaps the "for profit" system would work if and when people have enough money to pay for the good and service they need... at least the basic ones... or in the absence of this... those good and services are provided free or "at cost".

How can we make America more affordable to ALL the people... not the few but ALL. The American dream appears to a dream for those who can afford it.

The pandemic hopefully will give rise to a discussion about how America can fix these terrible inequities we have created and fostered for so long. This is a political discussion. It's about how the aspiration for wealth is breaking or has broken the American dream. It's about re discovering the American dream... a nation which promotes life, liberty and justice for all.

++++

The above does not belong in a thread about sheltering in place and working on a boat. But there is no reason why this discussion should not take place among sailors, teachers, carpenters, business owners, bus drivers...teachers... everyone.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts