SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
Regarding the parks; Yes they are open. I've been involved with the park service, or I should say in the park service for a quarter century. The park employees are pretty unnerved by all the additional people now showing up. I notice many older couples roaming around. Anyway, they come up to you and ask directions and after a while its all a bit too much on the nerves. And I don't even deal with the public. This is just when I am parking my truck. The basketball games were too much, and people picnicking and congregating. But even on the back woods trails where before we found solitude now we keep meeting up with what are mostly geriatric couples and families with lots of kids. To those of us who are always " out there" it is freaky and unsettling.

True story; The other day I was out on a back woods trail and I came across two adorable 80 year olds who were dressed in matching blue and white jump suits. They had their hands stretched out and were doing what seemed like a crazy dance in the woods. It took me a couple of minutes after I passed them to realize they must have been scared off the trail by my yellow lab, then got into rough terrain and were desperately waving their arms trying to keep their balance.

So if you are a geriatric couple and you are unfamiliar with the park, please excuse the strange looks we give you. Its been getting weird.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Negative spins and topics don’t contribute to making this situation better. Yes it is realistic but I prefer also to look at some silver linings of this . It’s depressing enough with the death toll. Some on here are just negative posters always thinking or bringing up topics of concern. Not the stuff you want to hear if constantly. I’m trying to look at positive outcomes.

Many families and couples are reporting a new bonding and positivity Coming from facing this epidemic shut off from others in their family unit together. Families have deeper conversations , having fun on mutual tasks, enjoying each other’s company . Fathers and mothers trying to do some active teaching with their kids.

Maybe somehow this enforced extra close time together will lead to building or strengthening some relationships. It’s amazing that my FB page friends are showing new great positive family pictures.

We need to laugh more. Reading all the negative stuff is easy but it also depresses you in a situation which is depressing . We are trying to watch one comedians one hour routine every day. It feels good to just laugh amongst all the sadness. It is also psychologically important.

A friend of mine has taken up the ukalele. He is doing this in real time on Facebook. He is terrible but getting better. It’s funny and inspiring at the same time.

Another friend of mine has decided to make masks with his kids. Not for sale or use but just to have fun and maybe for personal use when we get to everyone wearing them. Some are quite creative with graphics.

Another friend of mine has taken this extra time to repainting rooms ...involving the entire family. The kids are getting to choose their room colors and designs with major input. Great outcome
Here is a fellow who has the whole "Shelter in Place" thing figured out. :)
https://twitter.com/Flirtyflipper/status/1245510162967924736?s=20

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Why are hospitals for profit? Isn't what a hospital provides a basic human need? Hospitals are apparently turning away patients who don't have insurance and can't pay their high prices. The first question I am asked when I call a doctor is... What insurance do you have?

So perhaps the "for profit" system would work if and when people have enough money to pay for the good and service they need... at least the basic ones... or in the absence of this... those good and services are provided free or "at cost".
That's something I knew unconsciously, but never thought about. Of course American hospitals (are at least some of them) are for profit. So foreign to me.

We went out for groceries yesterday. People are so scared and it actually makes the activity less safe. Where before you could count on someone to react in a certain way, dodge left, right, etc. and so on, now all bets are off. It's almost comical. If this is how the populations in general are reacting then I am slowly coming around to the point of view that going out at all just isn't safe. As Minne pointed out social distancing is easy—but people just aren't focussing right now—make a simple policy almost impossible.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
“Civilization is but a thin veneer stretched across the passions of the human heart. And civilization doesn't just happen; we have to make it happen.”
— Bill Moyers

People do pitch in work together help each other more in a crisis

but it really would be better to be able to rely on a government with evidence based policy-making, with competent leadership focused on the public interest.

The conditions to make that happen have been increasingly (IMO intentionally, systematically in the US) eliminated in the past 4-5 decades

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I had to drive down to the Bronx to drop of needed supplies for the new born grandson. I expected no traffic and few pedestrians. First surprise was the Cross Bronx Expressway going West to the George Washington Bridge was at a standstill full or tractor trailers (delivering supplies???)... I took the local streets instead..

The streets showed what looked like to me NORMAL activity. Probably less than half the pedestrians were using PPE. Traffic was not less than normal!

Bronx has a higher C19 infection rate than Manhattan.

To me it looked like lackluster and insufficient compliance.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There are two factors, knowledge/intelligence and intent.

Of course with both right the individual can use their judgment.

But "the law", rules of engagement when enforcement is required in a crisis need to be simplified, when most of the public is being stupid and selfish.
Most? How can you write this? I have only been out to walk Jack and he runs around in the empty parking lot next to our building and I encounter no one... and drive to the market where I see almost everyone there is masked and most gloved (I do both). Yes... the paper products shelves are empty. The store is not crowded but the check out is slow (people stocking up??) and check out lines long because of the social distancing. It appeared to me like compliance with the directive.
Ahem. . .

And IMO you are part if the problem, taking a trip to drop off "essential" supplies for your family is really a stretch.

Yes, parsing intention, being legalistic, wondering about enforcement

is willfully, sociopathically IMO

missing the point.

Only if the community is responsible, voluntarily solves the problem on its own

will at-gunpoint enforcement not become necessary.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Ahem. . .

And IMO you are part if the problem, taking a trip to drop off "essential" supplies for your family is really a stretch.
These were ESSENTIAL supplies for the newborn... medicine and baby formula.

You are a jerk for saying that...

and while I am at it... an irresponsible jerk for turning yourself into an alcoholic.

YOU are on IGNORE...

·
11,803 Posts
You must have erased ....”Not following the law, thereby Endangering others”🙂

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You must have erased ....”Not following the law, thereby Endangering others”🙂
Dave if you are referring to my trip to bring the meds and formula for the baby... I encountered no one at all so I was neither endangering anyone else nor myself. Father came down and removed the small bag from the trunk.

Some people have to "shop" for others who can't get out of their apartments/homes for any number of reasons.

·
11,803 Posts
Dave if you are referring to my trip to bring the meds and formula for the baby... I encountered no one at all so I was neither endangering anyone else nor myself. Father came down and removed the small bag from the trunk.

Some people have to "shop" for others who can't get out of their apartments/homes for any number of reasons.
Jeff,

My post was in reference to Scratchees picture

You performed as essential mission for your grand child god bless you for helping😇

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Has any state really put such a strict requirement, ie, you may not leave your house except for an exact defined list?

I think there are hotspots, such as NYC, that are asking people not to leave their houses, but not sure it's law.

We are permitted to be in the marina, but can not access any building and must remain six feet from all others. That's pretty easy to do. In fact, working on the boat is no different than working at home, as long as one practices proper hygiene and social distancing.

We just went in the water. I'm going to give it a few days for any virus applied to surfaces of the boat, by yard crew, to die and then I'm going down to live and work aboard, while being strict about hygiene and distancing. I see no difference to being home.
Our parks are open here on Long Island. So I imagine people are taking walks and hopefully maintaining social isolation. My boatyard is next to one of the beaches where people park and stare out at Long Island Sound for lunch or tranquility I expect that is still the case. I may zip down to the boatyard for a quick battery charge and stare at my empty mooring in the harbor for which the bill just came in the mail. :)

·
11,803 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Our parks are open here on Long Island. So I imagine people are taking walks and hopefully maintaining social isolation. My boatyard is next to one of the beaches where people park and stare out at Long Island Sound for lunch or tranquility I expect that is still the case.
Mayor closed the parks here in Glen Cove LI. Too many people not playing by the rules.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think the problem is that if the rules are too strict it makes it harder to maintain them for an extended period of time. There is a certain level of common sense that needs to be applied.

Where we are, many things are shut down. Pretty much any business that results in people congregating in close quarters are shut down. Office buildings are nearly empty, gyms are closed, rec centers closed etc.

At the same time, we are still able to go to some stores, to pick up gardening supplies, building supplies, and yes, even boat supplies. Of course it is not your typical shopping experience. We needed a couple of things from our local Canadian Tire, and had to line up outside because they only allow 50 people in the store at a time. ( it is quite a large store). Most people are very good at keeping their distance. You don't go down an aisle if someone is already in it etc. Physical distancing is becoming the new normal.

My point is that by being able to carry on with some semblance of a normal life while still taking significant measures to reduce the spread of covid makes it much more likely that we can maintain these measures on the long term without too much push back from the population.

Having said that, government has been tightening up a bit. We have 2 very popular parks in our neighborhood, and as of this weekend they have closed the parking lots in those parks because people have been traveling from other areas to use the parks, and they want to discourage people from traveling too far outside their own communities. Yet still, those parks are not closed to the public, just to those not within walking or cycling distance.

I have no doubt that in some areas the situation is really so dire that a "shelter in place" order is warranted, and should be obeyed. At the same time it seems like some areas may be over reacting by imposing such an order. Perhaps it is because they don't have any other legislative tools in their toolbox?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

I have no doubt that in some areas the situation is really so dire that a "shelter in place" order is warranted, and should be obeyed. At the same time it seems like some areas may be over reacting by imposing such an order. Perhaps it is because they don't have any other legislative tools in their toolbox?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Good points... the problem of course is that there is so much variability that it's simply impractical to deal with each circumstance. The density concept is good... such as 1 person per 40 sq ft occupancy and then someone has to monitor.

Even grocery shopping seems to create too close or too crowded situations. There are clever solutions to be had. There needs to be a will. People cannot "self organize" to control density. They can space themselves on lines... that pretty easy and there is good compliance.

As far as Spring boat work... I've read some sensible guidelines which honor to social distancing needs. I think a lot of Spring boat work can proceed without increasing risk of exposure or spreading. I know what I need to do would be no different from my staying in my apartment. Yet it feels like I would be violating the spirit of the lock down. I am under no time pressure... I would simply like to be "boating"... and for me this is "weekend" type cruising.

My winter storage period ends 1 May but I usually am sailing before then. I'll probably do the small amount of work I need to do when there is a warm sunny day... but not move to the mooring until I know the mooring is in. I've heard nothing from the yard/marina.

·
11,803 Posts
People don’t take the law seriously. They are looking for a workaround and don’t think anything will happen to them. Or they look for loopholes to circumvent the law by looking at the social separation as an arguable point against the actual statement Stay in Place.

You see it in posts here. Some people think that they can determine on their own they are 6 ft from another and that’s the law. But it isn’t. It’s stay in place except for Essential Travel. Every state is different however on the East Coast they are Stay in Place laws.

It’s a difficult sh.t sandwich we have. All of us. We all need to pull in the same direction.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts