SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flag companies produce flags for cars at World Cup time. In Toronto almost 10% of all of the cars you see have one on the back window. We seem to have a lot Brazilians in town. I think after the Portuguese are out, a lot of Portuguese (and there are lot here) become honourary Brazilians for the next few weeks.

Anyway, I digress. After the World Cup is over, stores that were selling these usually have them on sale for less than half the earlier price. These are extremely well-made flags since they are designed to be used on a car at highway speeds. You obviously cannot get all the countries you want but there are generally some you need. We got Australia, South Africa, and France after the last one for something like $4 each (they took the plastic parts off, I guess to use again. France is very handy for places like Martinique, Guadeloupe, St Martin, French Polynesia, etc. Chile is good if you are going to Easter I and Ecuador for the Galapagos.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
I was in some bar somewhere and whilst sinking 87 beers noticed the bar decorations for some promotion were courtesy flag sized flags from just about everywhere in the world.

The bar manager said the Brewery gave them to them for free for the promotion and he would give them to me for free at the end of it... unfortunately I had to sail away before they became available.

Moral of the story: Even when drunk keep your eyes open!

Mark

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you did not drink enough beer. If you had consumed all of the beer of the company doing the promotion then the promotion would have been over. These weren't the little plastic flags on a string? We saw enormous numbers of them in bars (I should say restaurants) in South Africa left over 2010. They were getting pretty ratty looking.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Pretty ratty looking?

You wanna see my current coutesy flag.... its one of those they give the school kids to wave at parades. I've hoisted mine with the child still attached!

Cries at night sometimes...

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is too bad that more sailing destinations don't qualify. French Polynesia and Trinidad flags would generally be more useful than South Korea and Russia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts