SailNet Community banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Sure that side of the equation is valid. Let’s not quibble over the percent split ala “Nature v Nurture.” We agree in large on the event if not the intentions.
Yes. But my view (based on the evidence I've seen in the research), is that this fear some express about giving people money is simply unfounded. Yes, there are some people who will be free-riders, but that the case across the economic spectrum. It is not the majority. Actual experiments conducted around the world (including a few in Canada) show that most people who receive guaranteed incomes don't generally lose their motivation to work.

I would argue the evidence of this fact is all around us. Anyone on a pension can attest to the fact that they remain engaged with the community, doing valuable "work." Heck, there's a ton of "work" done in our societies which have never been paid (parental work, child care, homecare, etc.), not to mention the 10s of thousands of hours of volunteer work provided by people throughout our societies.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
No need to state the obvious... I am fairly certain that trump is toast... but the next administration and congress... really needs to completely re assess and reallocate resources with new priorities... not return to the old "market driven" economy.

Maybe C19 is a wake up call for a paradigm shift (in the right direction).

Let's hope so... for the sake of our children and grandchildren.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yes. But my view (based on the evidence I've seen in the research), is that this fear some express about giving people money is simply unfounded. Yes, there are some people who will be free-riders, but that the case across the economic spectrum. It is not the majority. Actual experiments conducted around the world (including a few in Canada) show that most people who receive guaranteed incomes don't generally lose their motivation to work.

I would argue the evidence of this fact is all around us. Anyone on a pension can attest to the fact that they remain engaged with the community, doing valuable "work." Heck, there's a ton of "work" done in our societies which have never been paid (parental work, child care, homecare, etc.), not to mention the 10s of thousands of hours of volunteer work provided by people throughout our societies.
Yes, and this is where our arguments converge. People have a built in need to be useful to the community. It is a very strong desire. Almost an addiction.

I’m working hard to get over said addiction. I’m through withdrawal and have been “useless” for the past 3 years. And I’m still guilt free. It’s hard work to cleanse yourself from the Puritan Work ethic.

May I should start a 7 step program? I can help you brother! :devil

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes, and this is where our arguments converge. People have a built in need to be useful to the community. It is a very strong desire. Almost an addiction.

I’m working hard to get over said addiction. I’m through withdrawal and have been “useless” for the past 3 years. And I’m still guilt free. It’s hard work to cleanse yourself from the Puritan Work ethic.

Oh come on now, you are underplaying your hand quite a bit, aren't you?
Unless you are part of the 1% I used to work for, who hired me to care for, repair and operate their toys (boats), you've got plenty to keep you busy aboard in this time of forced relaxation. If not, and you need one, I can loan you a chipping hammer. lol

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Oh come on now, you are underplaying your hand quite a bit, aren't you?
Unless you are part of the 1% I used to work for, who hired me to care for, repair and operate their toys (boats), you've got plenty to keep you busy aboard in this time of forced relaxation. If not, and you need one, I can loan you a chipping hammer. lol

I have TWO steel boats, need I say more. LOL

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts

Completely agree, which is why I am always dismayed at the, typically conservative, reaction against most forms of direct government supports to individuals. (Ironically, fewer of these people seem concerned about government supports to business ... but that's a different bun fight ;) ).

I don't think there's any mystery as to why the vast majority of us want to be contributing members of our societies. We are social animals. It's in our DNA.

I think the "Puritan Work Ethic" is actually a distortion or abuse of this basic trait. It keeps the masses toiling and distracted so the real owners can go on reaping most of the benefits of all our work.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Completely agree, which is why I am always dismayed at the, typically conservative, reaction against most forms of direct government supports to individuals. (Ironically, fewer of these people seem concerned about government supports to business ... but that's a different bun fight ;) ).

I don't think there's any mystery as to why the vast majority of us want to be contributing members of our societies. We are social animals. It's in our DNA.

I think the "Puritan Work Ethic" is actually a distortion or abuse of this basic trait. It keeps the masses toiling and distracted so the real owners can go on reaping most of the benefits of all our work.
5am, goat a bad roll in the anchorage. Anchor lights throughout are swaying wildly.

I don’t know if I would put it that way, maybe. I have come to view it as an aberration to normal. Which really surprised me. I was raised with a strong work ethic as an ideal, it’s my basic Pavlovian response, something is wrong, what do I DO? I’m not sure if that is a conditioned response or a deeper response from my amygdala. But there I go again! LOL

It’s a topic where I have to deeply question my inherit drives and it feels very uncomfortable to me. Yet the evidence I see all points in on direction.

It is exacerbated by consumer economic society we have. The advertising keeps priming us to want more.

So the big contradiction I have is this: I see some hale and heathy young fellow sitting around playing his guitar, hat out for a hand out. I instantly rebel against that. But intellectually I can see how perhaps his approach is part of the solution. Perhaps better than mine.

Drives me crazy.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
5am, goat a bad roll in the anchorage. Anchor lights throughout are swaying wildly.

I don’t know if I would put it that way, maybe. I have come to view it as an aberration to normal. Which really surprised me. I was raised with a strong work ethic as an ideal, it’s my basic Pavlovian response, something is wrong, what do I DO? I’m not sure if that is a conditioned response or a deeper response from my amygdala. But there I go again! LOL

It’s a topic where I have to deeply question my inherit drives and it feels very uncomfortable to me. Yet the evidence I see all points in on direction.

It is exacerbated by consumer economic society we have. The advertising keeps priming us to want more.

So the big contradiction I have is this: I see some hale and heathy young fellow sitting around playing his guitar, hat out for a hand out. I instantly rebel against that. But intellectually I can see how perhaps his approach is part of the solution. Perhaps better than mine.

Drives me crazy.
Oh, we're going to have such fun, yackin' it up together in our respective cockpits this season -- assuming there is a season this year :(.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts