SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Clean Your cruising sailing Seas, Oceans and your sailing communities.

World Ocean cruiser Grounds, all are getting polluted.

Ocean gyres concentrate plastic pollution in five main areas of the world’s ocean and various research groups are bringing back alarming data documenting plastics impacts.

Read more re this devastating hazardous to your cruising grounds problem

:mad: :mad:

·
Administrator
7,547 Posts
Now that I can say I have sailed all the worlds oceans, except the Southern ocean I can advise that the oceans are pretty damn clean!

Yes, we must be more careful about plastics going into the sea, and yes, we must help the Third World countries realise what a top priority it is, but their aint no floating mass of trash in some gyre out 'there'.

:)

Mark

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I am with Mark. In 30K plus in all the world's oceans we saw only two concentrations of plastic. One was about 100 miles off the coast of Panama and Colombia in the Caribbean. It seemed to be a place where currents met and left their detritus, which is not at all concentrated. The mix was about 70% weed and 30% plastic. Struck me that could be picked up fairly easily with the right kind of machine although you would need to separate the weed somehow. The other place that was odd was along a tidal pass at Cocos Island in the Indian Ocean. There were dozens and dozens of flip flops. Not from an errant container load. They were all different types and had been exposed to the sun for varying times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts