SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never really one for the new generation anchors and loved my Delta as much as I thought it possible to love an anchor. The Delta never let me down but when I was given a new Rocna I figured I owed it to myself to give it a try. I've spent a little over 100 days this year hanging on it and have to say it is amazing beyond words. I love it so much I coined the term Rocna'd to sleep as I have never experienced such an amazing hook in all my years of sailing.

One of the interesting things about this anchor is that while it holds fast no matter what and we have weathered quite a few gales with it it never seems to bury itself very deep. After 10 days in a very high wind anchorage it just pulled out with almost no effort when we moved on. I have a Rocna 10 and am wondering if its too big for my 7400lb 22' cutter.

I have always wondered what the correlation is when it comes to boat displacement and anchor set. Does a heavier boat require less anchor because of its sheer mass that it will set and hold better per given anchor? I considered my 25lb CQR to be junk but when we did a test of the Bruce, CQR, Delta The CQR set and held first and best, The Bruce dragged everywhere and the Delta was in the middle.

I have happily made the switch but is my anchor too big for my boat???

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read the post before you respond, this is an anchor size post not make! Don't be a troll PCP there are plenty of other places for you to do that. :)

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
It reads much more like an infomercial disguised as a post about anchor size.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problems setting it, its surprisingly easy and functional. Fyi I have done a massive amount of searching on here for size info and this is what I have found. The new xyz generation anchors have double the holding power yet everyone recommends going up on or two sizes??? This makes no sense, it would seem we should go down in size if they are so great. I have ZERO complaints but am questioning if I have too much anchor. Why go bigger if these anchors are so great. The reason I question this is that while its holding power is amazing it seems to come up so easily.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
Unless you have a hard time retrieving it, the answer is no; your anchor is not too big for you or your boat.

The correct size anchor is the largest anchor that you and your boat can comfortably handle.

Here is the sizing guide, according to Rocna;

FWIW, I have a Rocna 15 on the bow of my 35' boat.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my confusion with their size rating is that my 10 is rated for a 23-36' boat, that is a huge range. I'm doing a 300 day review on the anchor and have another 200 days to go before publishing it. I trust the anchor with my life, so much so that I feel the smaller one may be better suited for my boat. I'm wondering if the small one will actually set and hold better.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
also; the rough rule of thumb for anchor selection for boats over 20' that I subscribe to is 1lb of anchor to every foot of boat. Rocna 10 = 22lbs. You have a 22' boat.

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
You were given it, is it one that was made in China or an older one?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The new xyz generation anchors have double the holding power yet everyone recommends going up on or two sizes??? This makes no sense, it would seem we should go down in size if they are so great. I have ZERO complaints but am questioning if I have too much anchor. Why go bigger if these anchors are so great. The reason I question this is that while its holding power is amazing it seems to come up so easily.
Larger anchors have a lot advantages. Just to mention one opening up anchorages that would be unusable otherwise, such as those with poorer holding or requiring shorter scope. These advantages are worth the extra 10kg or so to me, but may not be to everyone.

The new generation anchors do need quite a bit of patience to get them to unstick. What sort of wind strength are you talking about when the anchor still came up easily?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was made in China and I have seen all the bad press, there are no words or published pictures that can out weigh my experience riding out a full gale on this hook. I live aboard and cruise full time "I'm in drydock now doing modification" will spend another 200 days in 2014 on the hook. I am pushing this anchor to the limits looking for a weak spot to write about, the only one I have found after 100 nights hanging on it is that it isn't made in america.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zero to 30 knots sustained gusting much higher set for over a week never moved an inch but many boats did. This anchor consistently pops out with almost no effort. MY thought is that it is much too large for my boat and wont bury. Just like too small is too small I feel like too big may be too big? just looking for real time feed back.

·
Old soul
4,643 Posts
Without sounding like an advertorial, I too love my Rocna. We went from a 45# CQR to 55# Rocna, and it has never let me down (yet). Held through gales, has only failed to set on the first try only twice now. Deploys and retrieves pretty easy, although ours does get pretty buried at times, taking some effort to break it free.

At 37-feet and 28,000# (10.45T) the chart has us just slightly above the Rocna20, so I went with the 25. As I say, it has never lets me down yet, but if I were to buy another anchor I'd go with the next size again. My attitude to your bower is that it should be the largest anchor you can reasonably handle without resorting to special means. As it is, our roller/holder and windlass could manage the next size up, but I'm certainly happy (so far).

BTW, I expect that all the new style anchors would perform equally well: Manson, Spade, Mantus, etc.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that they are all excellent. I have no engine so I just drop it and let it settle. I also have no windlass again small boat it handles just fine. Its funny how yacht designers size every inch of a boat and its rigging to proportion but never recommend anchor size, wouldn't that be neat, xyz designer specs for anchors, :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have no engine so I just drop it and let it settle.
With no engine relying on just the force of the wind (rather than setting the anchor with sails, or the momentum of the boat) you will find the anchor sets very little until the wind gets above 20 knots. After around 30 knots of wind you should be finding it starts to need a little patience to raise.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's exactly why I feel my anchor is too large, even with massive wind and huge amounts of chop and extended time on the hook it always pops right out. I know 100 plus days is not really a test but so far it never digs in deep.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Read the post before you respond, this is an anchor size post not make! Don't be a troll PCP there are plenty of other places for you to do that. :)
Why are you being rude? Nobody teach you good manners?

If this is a about anchor size change the title to "Anchor size for a 22ft boat". Your title is:

"The best anchor in the world"

That is a generic topic not related with anchor size.

Regards

Paulo

·
Old soul
4,643 Posts
At around 30-35 knots my anchor starts to dig in deeper than can achieved with the engine set alone.
With just the engine set it needs a short time at 1:1 to break out say typically a minute or two.
With the deeper set achieved after stronger wind this is extended considerably.
This is pretty much our experience as well Noelex. This past season we hung through two strong gales. Took us a long time to break that one out!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts