SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because she is coming out of 8 years in storage seems a poor excuse. But why can't I keep this boat neat, tools stowed, and junk tossed? I cannot bring myself to throw anything away. Case in point. Temp gauge changed. Old one is rusted piece of corroded junk. But I found it on boat this morning. I tossed it but took a pic first. Is there a rehab prog for someone like me? Drives the wife and kids nuts... Me too sometimes.. Help!

Reactions: JimMcGee

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's not your fault.. it's not your fault... it's not your fault..

Just kidding, just put everything in your car or truck and ride around like Fred Sanford!

If it makes you feel any better, I have been riding around with a lifeline gate in my truck for 14 months.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Funny you mention it.
About 10-12 years ago I parked a sweet little OB runabout in the Garage, just spent a week digging it out from under a pile of old sailboat parts.
The biggest surprise was dozens of lifevests and those throwable square cushions. I got every kind and size of PFD possible, I've even got a full range of childrens sizes and I've got no children. Must have got them for the nieces and nephews, of course there is a new set I just bought for their children down on the boat.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I've been driving my truck around with all kinds of supplies for working on the boat from varnish, acetone, mineral spirits, epoxy, sand paper, tools etc. Someone borrowed my truck so I cleaned it all out and now it's mostly in my house (no garage). My boat is now on the trailer for refit time so things will get worse before it gets better.:rolleyes:

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Just because she is coming out of 8 years in storage seems a poor excuse. But why can't I keep this boat neat, tools stowed, and junk tossed? I cannot bring myself to throw anything away. Case in point. Temp gauge changed. Old one is rusted piece of corroded junk. But I found it on boat this morning. I tossed it but took a pic first. Is there a rehab prog for someone like me? Drives the wife and kids nuts... Me too sometimes.. Help!
A tidy ship is a safe and efficient ship.

Aside from just looking like crap, excess gear and "gear adrift" is a hazard. Little bits get down into the bilge, clogging strainers and pumps. Large items bang up against seacocks and through-hulls.

Throw that crap away, or at least get it off of the boat and organized in plastic storage tubs in your basement or garage.

Cleanliness is just good seamanship.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
throw shackles away? wait what? you throw old turnbuckles and gaskets away too?

oh no my friend...you need to learn some stuff before you go cruising...jajajajaja

·
Banned
141 Posts
You need an intervention. This is what happens if you don't throw anything away

We have more than a few boats like this in our marina , most are illegal live aboards . I would think that a illegal would keep their stuff squared away so as not to bring any attention . What gets me is that the marina officials walk by all time and do nothing .

·
Registered
737 Posts
I also have trouble keeping junk around. My two favorite excuses are 1) I might "need it," and 2) I might be able to fix it.

I recommend you rent a dumpster for a couple weeks. Like you would get for a house renovation. I've done that a couple times in the last few years. The first couple days I would hold something in my hand and contemplate whether I wanted to keep it or not. After a while the rule was, if I picked it up it went into the dumpster. I never regretted a single thing that I tossed.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
We have more than a few boats like this in our marina , most are illegal live aboards . I would think that a illegal would keep their stuff squared away so as not to bring any attention . What gets me is that the marina officials walk by all time and do nothing .
which marina are you in?

·
Registered
203 Posts
A very real issue I have on the MC is that when I am fully loaded for cruising the thru hulls for the cockpit drains/galley sink/bilge pump are awash. Obviously they do not have seacocks. I lighten up when I am away from the boat and get them above the water level. It would not take a whole lot of "junk" to lower her so I am highly motivated to remove anything not vital. Maybe I am to paranoid about failing hoses and hose clamps. Dan S/V Marian Claire

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
A very real issue I have on the MC is that when I am fully loaded for cruising the thru hulls for the cockpit drains/galley sink/bilge pump are awash. Obviously they do not have seacocks. I lighten up when I am away from the boat and get them above the water level. It would not take a whole lot of "junk" to lower her so I am highly motivated to remove anything not vital. Maybe I am to paranoid about failing hoses and hose clamps. Dan S/V Marian Claire
sorry of I missed it what boat is this again?:)

can you easily install valves at least on the hoses for those?

thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly... now full disclosure my boat from the outside looks as nice as any in the marina. It is below decks that tells the tale. Unfortunately we also downsized the house at same time we bought boat. House went form 2800 sq ft to 1200. We love the house but no basement and no garage leaves few options. I have a 5x8 shed at house but that is tiny...

I see the progression... at my marina we also have an extensive storage yard. Just $40/m for a spot. Several boat owners have encloseable trailers out in the yard and guess what they are filled with??? Yep... bot stuff and tool...

Anyone have a reasonably priced closeable trailer for sale? :)

·
Admiral
51 Posts
I too have Too-Much-Stuff-itis however I do make a concerted effort to always have everything put away. That way if it doesn't have a place stowed, out it goes.

There are exceptions -- at present my lentil sprouts still do not have a permanent home that would work when underway. It's one of the innumerable projects though for now I put them in the top shelf of the reefer. Storing them in the refrigerator is not ideal but it's the best I can do for the time-being.

And in the heat, it's not a horrible temporary solution.

I do have a home for everything though -- it's always been a practice to go from "at anchor" to "underway" in less than 15 minutes. That's the way I was raised (aboard a 40'er) and it's natural to keep up the same process on my boat.

If your stuff is stored so you can use your boat at a moment's notice, I see no problem with the junk. You can get rid of it as is convenient.

That said, one thing that drives me NUTS when I'm working on boats is to be handed a screw with a torn up end. Or a bent one. Really, if the doggone thing can't be tightened down or is not straight, please, get rid of it today. Immediately!

Now I wouldn't keep a broken temperature gauge but I did keep the oil pressure sending unit (failed) when I replaced it with a new one. On the bright side, with the addition of JB Weld, the old one didn't leak any more so my "fix" actually did work. It didn't tell psi though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts