SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Would being capsized three times in a cyclone in the SoPac qualify? I certainly lost any desire to round Cape Horn, after that.

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
I was going to say an accidental "round up" when I had too much sail on a windy day....

But Capta's got me beat...

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Capsized and fell out of a Catalina 16. It is true that they have so much foam that they won't sink. But it won't sail after that either--too low in the water to bail it out.

Reactions: Nancyleeny

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Stumbled at the mooring fell on the lifelines and hooked my legs stopping and MOB

REALLY WISH it had been MOB by some miracle I did not break or tweak anything but the bruising was massive :(

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Motoring at full speed into a rock I forgot about. My shins have never fully recovered from hitting the traveler.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Getting caught off Hatteras in a rapidly developing storm that appeared unexpectedly. Within an hour the wind went from 15 knots SSE to 35+NE.

Being out in the Gulfstream in 35 knts + NE meant I had classic wind over tide sea conditions and with it forecast to strengthen and my autopilot unable to cope I had to turn and run for an inlet. 18 very scary hours, hand steering all the way in very large and very confused seas. The wind did increase for about two hours and I was surfing down waves and struggling for control almost continually. If I could I would have tried trailing something to try and slow down but it was not an option as I felt I had to avoid a broach at all costs. I was fortunate that I just acquired a GPS and was able to hit the seabuoy marking the inlet on the dot and followed a local fishing boat in.

My boat was a tough steel 38ft ketch with a large center cockpit. I had several near knockdowns but never had the spreaders in the water. However I felt that getting rolled over was very possible. I had many breaking waves hit the boat sometimes half filling the cockpit. It was the only time I have ever needed to be clipped on in the cockpit.

I have been in winds of similar strength before and had enough sea room to heave to and wait it out. I tried heaving to briefly and had a near knockdown almost immediately. With conditions forecast to get worse I felt forced to run for shelter which was something I had always said I would never do as it is almost always safer to be out in deeper water away from shore.

Once I got the hook down the boat got a little pat before I turned in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Broke an upper shroud during a spinnaker knockdown. Mast stayed up! (Pearson 26OD).
2nd worst - piled onto a mud bank full speed, heeled over with the spinnaker up (buddy was driving).
Wait - I'm starting to see a common thread here.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I gybed then knocked down as the mainsheet got hooked and the rookie crew kept the genoa tight, as he let go to try to stay in the boat that was enough to right the boat that was in a Venture 21.

A following sea a stuck check valve and an overworked bilge pump put about a foot of water in my Catalina 30, the manual pump and a galley trash can emptied the boat pretty quick.

Reactions: Brewgyver

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
A seagull swiped a ribeye off my plate (that was sitting on the cockpit bench) when I ducked below help my wife find something (a corkscrew, IIRC).

Ok, we were anchored rather than actually sailing....but it was still pretty traumatic to see that flying rat absconding with a perfectly grilled $20 steak.

·
Registered
401 Posts
On a 29 ft enginelss sailboat, we (two others and myself) were caught in the Gulf of Mexico on the south side of the "Blizzard of 96" storm for 5 days. The two others ran out of cigarettes which did not help the serenity. Food ran out enough to just get one bowl of rice each day per man for those 5 days. Not only did we have to deal with that, we had to jury rig a mast out of the boom after a demasting during the event. Educational to say the least.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Motoring onto an oyster bed I should have been aware of had I paid closer attention to the chart...

Recently, I had the privilege of sucking up a jellyfish through the raw water intake which completely blocked all raw water into the engine...and it was quite some time before I realized this was due to a blockage and not some type of mechanical malfunction...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts