SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what others experienced this season from April - November 2020... but from my perspective this wins hands down as the worse sailing season I have experienced in 35 years:

Covid restrictions
Lousy weather

double whammy.

·
Advanced beginner
350 Posts
We actually got out more this year than the last six years we've had the boat. Covid restrictions on sailing here (MD) were lifted just in time for spring sailing season, and a lack of other plans meant we had fewer conflicting engagements on the few nice sailing days of the year. Even on some days with no wind we'd just motor the boat out into the Bay for a change of scenery and a chance to be outside without dodging other people.

·
Lake Sailor
1,162 Posts
Not for me really. No racing required this year so a lot of fun sailing and getting a whole lot of boat projects done. Sorry your season was not fun.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
We got a huge amount of use out of our boat this year. Covid did not stop us from getting out sailing. With all the nearby boat launches closed there were very few Jet skis and wakeboard boats on the water, so it was blissfully quiet out there.

Our club ran a series of single and double handed races, so we jumped into a few of those, which allowed us to refine our short handed spinnaker handling too!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know what others experienced this season from April - November 2020... but from my perspective this wins hands down as the worse sailing season I have experienced in 35 years:

Covid restrictions
Lousy weather

double whammy.
Covid has made sailing less social. Just my co-cap and myself. BUT, we sail in Colorado and with La Nina in store, we will leave Latis in maybe until December. So, we will end up only a few sails short of average of 45 or so. But we need some weather to refill our reservoir!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Weather is obviously a local thing. Like SanderO I am also on Long Island Sound though he is on the eastern end and I am on the western end. May and June were great, but July and August were a bit below average. No real heat waves, but seemed more days than usual with lousy winds or rain showers. Covid didn't really impact my use of the boat other than I decided to take 3 local shorter cruises versus my usual longer one. Didn't seem worth it to push east since so many of the shore activities would be impacted.

All in all, I was glad to have the boat as it made for a fairly normal summer.

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
With the threat of c-19 looming in early January when we were in Trinidad, it became imperative that we get back to our mooring in Carriacou ASAP! So, we dropped the boat in the water and scooted across (100 knotical miles) to Carriacou and haven't sailed since. We asked for permission to go out fishing a couple of days a month, but the powers that be refused the request. Since then we could sail to Grenada, but with anchorages being limited to the southern bays, that doesn't interest us much.
As much as we'd like to go to SVG and need to get to Trini (still closed), we are not at this point, willing to risk another shut down of Grenada, so we'll remain here through the rest of 2020. At least we've built up our bank accounts.
So, when most of our years we have managed to put several thousand miles under our keel, this year the grand total has been 80, plus one to the fuel dock and back. So sad. For the first time since we've owned the boat, we've even removed the sails while in the water.

·
Registered
Cape Dory 30
68 Posts
Great sailing this year on the lower Chesapeake Bay, We probably sailed more in July and August that we ever have. Seemed to always have plenty of wind, which is not usually the case for mid summer.

·
Barquito
3,567 Posts
The breakwater next to our mooring was destroyed by a combination of high lake levels and a strong winter storm this past January. Couldn't launch this year. We are awaiting FEMA funding to re-build. Cross our finger for a warm, dry winter to lower the lake level.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Absolutely. Terrible season. Too many people, too many boats, not enough square feet of water. Had our trailer sailer out sailing once this season. Anticipating a repeat in 2021.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, I have been accumulating a lot of vacation time and I am going to have to use it at some point. Hope to explore some more lightly travelled water ways next summer.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I was thinking about this yesterday, as I pulled the sails off the boat in preparation for pulling her out of the water next week.

In some ways, this season was disappointing. Because of COVID, my big plans for a cruise were completely derailed. I didn't go on any after work solo sails as I am no longer in my office 15 minutes from the marina. And our normal social sailing with friends was almost completely blown up. On the other hand, my wife and I (along with a very few other family members who we know were very quarantiny) got out on the boat about as many times as we normally do in a season. Very definitively a mixed bag.

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
126 Posts
Great season here on Georgian Bay. Started early with late May heat wave. Summer not super warm like 2016 but still not bad...sailing above average with more changeable weather and better wind. Not as many boats in the North Channel due to border restrictions but southern Georgian Bay was packed. We could not go to Lake Michigan and Chicago as planned but overall spent more time on the water due to remote work. In terms of socializing not much different from other years for us.

·
New to cruising
4 Posts

Covid restrictions
Lousy weather

double whammy.
Yeah. Got sick in February. Couldn’t get tests then. Covid wasn’t in the USA before March 1, remember? Took at least 6 months to get full strength back. Just walking down the dock seemed overwhelming some days. The weather wasn’t great: too hot, not enough wind, hurricane... Travel was a pain. Hope to have a better season this winter in FL. Last year was nonexistent (see above). Stay healthy.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Hey,

For me it was a tale of two seasons.

The racing season was bad - most of the 'big' races I do were cancelled - American Yacht Club spring series, Off Soundings Spring and Fall, Around Long Island Regatta. At my sailing club the spring series was cancelled but we used +1 rules and got in the summer series, double handed, etc.

Since I couldn't do much racing I did use my boat more than normal. I spent more nights aboard than I ever did before. So that was a plus. And the boat worked great and I am very happy for that.

Barry

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
It really wasn't a bad season for us. Very different. We splashed on schedule at the end of March, just when everything became a problem. We didn't leave the slip until well into May. Then, I have to say it was the best in many ways. We usually have guests every single weekend and had none this year, other than the kids a couple of weekends. That meant we could fully come and go, as we pleased. Limited shore activity also meant there was no place we really needed to be. It took until mid-July for us to realize that working remotely from the boat, was no different that doing so from home. We'd anchor with good cell hot spot coverage and were fully connected: VPN, video conferencing, cell phone, etc. The big difference was, once the day was done, we were immediately aboard and could sail at night or move to another anchorage. We took two weeks off, but worked aboard for the next six weeks. I think we ran home for a day or two in the middle. It's inspired us to figure out how to do more of this, even after Covid passes. That will be the silver lining from the mess.

Bottom line. Not the worst year at all.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
We didn't cruise far or much, but still did a few overnights. Living a mile from the boat enabled us to get out quite a bit. Won our July race series and had plenty of picnic & cocktail outings. Also painted the deck and made repairs. Good breezes and nothing broke (yet). We haul next week.

IMG_8964.jpeg
l

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Does no sailing season count as the worst? I haven't even been allowed to get to my boat. I haven't laid eyes on her in over a year now.
Yeah I would say that qualifies you for the title "Worst Sailing Season"!

Hopefully next season will be better for you.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Guess it depends on where you and your boat find yourself.... This was my first year of actual retirement, and we have had the boat out more than ever before. Sure, it would have been better without the virus, but you have to deal with whatever and just get on with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sure didn’t look too good in the spring , with all the uncertainty about what Connecticut was going to allow. I did the bare minimum to put the boat in the water , no buffing /waxing ,no upgrades or mechanical prep , wasn’t going through the motions if they back pedaled and I couldn’t use it . Turns out it was a great summer for us , without wanting to mingle with people at restaurants or any touristy spots ( wife finished chemo for breast cancer a year ago and fits into a higher risk category) we took off the middle of each week all summer . I’ll never , or will certainly try not to be on the boat on weekends anymore . It was so peaceful with almost no one on the water or around our mooring field . Already have my vacation time put in for next year , middle of the week for us again .
We’ll work weekends and leave the weekends for the masses . We spent a lot of time in the dink exploring all the nooks and crannies on the mystic river and nearby areas that we always would say we should poke around here or there but never did in the ten years we’ve been mooring there . Warm weather made for warm water for swimming off the boat . Now she’s out and I’m knocking out projects now so spring will be easier , oddly enough this weird season has reenergized my enjoyment of boating / boat ownership. life gives you lemons , make limoncello....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts