SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
As someone who got to sail on their on yacht for the first time, I think this is the best sailing season ever. Are you telling me it gets better ? :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fantastic season, one of the hottest I've seen in my 15 yrs on the Channel. Water temp hit 70 degrees at the end of June in most anchorages. Record high water levels meant unprecedented gunkhole opportunities and the closed border made for empty anchorages. Even the rain behaved itself. This pix was taken Sept 11 off a deserted, near tropical beach. Sadly I pulled the boat last Tuesday with freeze up looming.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I think that any sailing season is only as good as you make it. For those who want to raft up and party, this was a dismal season - unless you decided to risk your friends and family and do it anyway. For those who like to anchor as a getaway, it was a great year, although busy weekend destinations like Annapolis and St. Michaels may have been best avoided.

For those who work during the week, an otherwise great season can be ruined by bad weekend weather. It's just the "luck of the draw." That's what July was like on the Chesapeake.

COVID caused me to be furloughed for 10 weeks through May and June. That turned out to be a real blessing. We found ourselves taking long weekends every week, taking advantage of any chance to find good weather Thu-Fri or Mon-Tue. During Aug and Sept I could have used vacation to do cruising, but my wife's work was extremely busy due to having to redesign the whole college curriculum to be delivered remotely, so we were pretty much limited to Sat-Sun. Despite that, we were able to either daysail or anchor out every single weekend from August until last weekend. We've never been able to do that before, so our boat got more use than ever.

For us it was a great season.

Reactions: SanderO
21 - 23 of 23 Posts