SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was on the local kijiji and I wanted to post it in the classifieds but can't figure out how.
Apparently the boat has a history. It was built in Lunengurg Nova Scotia. The ad was posted on January 14th.

Anyway...just passing this along:

21' Hand Built copy of Famous "TREKKA" | sailboats | City of Halifax | Kijiji

This is a one of a kind reconstruction of the famous 1930's sailboat TREKKA that sailed around the world with it's British owner in the 30's. There was a book written about it. This boat was lovingly built in the early 70's by a gentleman in Lunenburg and sailed around N.S. It was owned by the Eaton family and spent decades in a barn. The workmanship is excellent with a fine eye or detail. I purchased 2 years ago for the trailer and although I had no interest/time for the boat, I could not stand to cut it up. It has some smaller issues but could be easily made seaworthy for this season in the right hands. It comes with new cusions still in their wrappers and the masts are available. I want it to go to a good home where someone will restore it. Also, at the price of free, I would like no hassle regarding it's pick up. Come on you wooden boat freaks...you know you want it!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Another one bites the dust.... Think I've seen that boat on the WB Forum

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Trekka was actually built in the early 50s.
Yep. She was built in 1953 to a design by Laurent Giles for John Guzzwell who I thought was Canadian but maybe he was originally English.

She was at the time the smallest ever boat to circumnavigate. Anyone interested in reading about the early circumnavigators should try and get hold of both Guzzwell's book on his Trekka experiences (Trekka Around the World) and also Miles Smeeton's account of their time on Tzu Hang (Once is Enough)

Also have a look at this ....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Trekka was actually built by John Guzzwell. He went on to become a master boat builder. He lives here in Washington state and is still involved in the boating community.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Well.. given that this is a copy (not even the real thing).... I guess at least it's going for free.

If the spars are timber, I'm sure a local ship-yard would be happy to take them. If they're good quality timber and in reasonable condition someone might even give you some beer money for them. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why no, I would not want a free wooden boat.
I sail a 1980's plastic boat (S2 7.9) and can keep up with the maintainence and still have time for sailing.
I'm also working on the Vets For Peace Golden Rule Project in Eureka, CA - in which we are rebuilding the first peace boat. I just cannot fathom how much work wooden boats are. In fact, I told my wife (only half jokingly) to shoot me if I EVER bought a wooden boat.

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,707 Posts
I have owned wooden boats. It takes skill and dedication to put one into good shape, but once in good shape, they are not all that much harder than a glass boat to maintain. The big difference is that you can't let things go, or the job gets much bigger. This is a very cool little boat. I saw what I think is the original in Newport some years ago and was fascinated with the design. It would be a shame if this old girl was lost.

Jeff

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
aaaaaaaaaaaah laurent giles...you either love his designs or hate them...I love some of his and been on a big 50footer of his which was a radical design in the 50s...fin bulb keel and spade.

well If I was in the area and had some time on my hands and it was free id have a go...but as usual you have to be there and be willing.

peace

Reactions: __floater__

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why no, I would not want a free wooden boat.
I sail a 1980's plastic boat (S2 7.9) and can keep up with the maintainence and still have time for sailing.
I'm also working on the Vets For Peace Golden Rule Project in Eureka, CA - in which we are rebuilding the first peace boat. I just cannot fathom how much work wooden boats are. In fact, I told my wife (only half jokingly) to shoot me if I EVER bought a wooden boat.
Thank you for your gracious declination. Your contribution to the topic is greatly appreciated by all who read it.
:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.