SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cal 2-27 and just took the mast down due to evidence of water intrusion down below. As expected, water had been traveling down the wire bundle that goes through the mast step and deck. I would like to properly prepare the hole with over-drilling, epoxy, etc, then use a conduit of some sort to make an inch or two of standpipe above the step, extending down through the deck to act as a conduit. I've been trying to figure out what material to use. I was thinking of bronze, but then I got worried about the bronze running through the mast step made of an unknown metal (3/4" hole in the mast step, by the way.) I thought of PVC, but heard (here) that epoxy won't bond to the PVC. Maybe it doesn't need to, and I can just use some other type of sealant?

Anyway, I have two specific questions:

- What is the established means of getting wiring through the deck inside the mast (I don't want to have a fitting outside the mast as I have seen on some boats?)

- If conduit is a proper solution, what material is best and how should it be secured and/or sealed?

Many thanks as always…

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I bought a short piece of 3/4" PEX today because it was cheap and was a pretty blue color.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
you need things called "cable clams" and or deck plugs

pex will not last a year in the heat and sun. sorry .

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Denise. Do either of those fittings work with multiple cables? I have two electrical and two coax (in a pinch, if space is an issue, I could re-run one of the coax through its original fitting external to the mast.)

I'm doing this internal to the mast, so I don't think sun would be an issue; maybe heat would. But I suspect I'll find out that epoxy and the standard sealants won't bind to PEX anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a picture of my mast step. Whatever I use has to fit through that 3/4" hole in the middle:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SVT. I'm seeing that the problem with any fitting is going to be the vertical flanges on the step. They will interfere with anything larger than the hole itself. I think my options will be to either drill another hole elsewhere in the step, or just find a way to seal the hole with sealant/potting/etc. Or go through the deck external to the mast.

I think they call this a "trade study."

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used pvc for a similar purpose (standpipes inside the helm pedestal guard tubes). I don't know how strong the bond is, but the pvc doesn't budge, and no water was come in.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Davester. How did you secure and/or seal the PVC?
I drilled out the area, taped the bottom, put the pvc sections in place, and poured thickened epoxy around them. I was also replacing the pedestal guard feet which required drilling some new holes, and filling old ones. I didn't seal the inside the pvc tubes, but they aren't getting any water in them. (I have rubber gaskets where the wires enter the guard rail at the top).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts