SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had been toying with buying a winter place in Florida along the east coast for a variety of reasons (mostly because our long term plan is to have a small place there and one up north, and sail between the two for our retirement). We looked at a few places, but then put the process on hold because we bought a new boat. :D

We still get email alerts about places that come on the market fitting our parameters (deep water with sufficient frontage, 3 bedrooms, no fixed bridges, etc.).

I just got an alert that rejiggers everything. $650,000 for a renovated 3BR/2Bath place, 105' of frontage, only one bridge right at the Hillsboro Inlet, in Lighthouse Point. They say "deep" water, but who knows if it's deep enough. Nevertheless, $650,000! On the one hand that sort of thing portends great opportunities, but it sure is scary that prices are falling that far.

And by the way, because we're talking about buying a house to keep next to our boat slip, I figure this is sufficiently connected to sailing to justify posting here. :)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I've seen condo's going for 250k asking price, waterfront, slip included.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
250k for a waterfront condo slip included? I really need to move..... but wait, I can't sell my place for thousands less than the assessed value, so it doesn't matter.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Everybody is holding their breath in Florida, for the past 3 years they've had a net loss of population as folks got priced out (low job wages, high home prices) and now the general talk is that home prices are some 26% down from two-three years ago, but the question is, will they drop another 10-15% because Florida's "Gold Coast" was so overpriced to begin with?

If they'd just put a dome on that state and refrigerate it, it might actually be a nice place to be.<G>

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Wait, does this affect the trip to Nantucket that you are organizing? Or the Bermuda trip?

Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, does this affect the trip to Nantucket that you are organizing? Or the Bermuda trip?

Good luck with it all.
Nope! We're too foolish to ration. :)

Seriously, as I mentioned we dropped the house idea, but with prices dropping like this it's starting to make me re-think. Probably won't go anywhere, but it's fun to think about it anyway.

Some have posted $250,000 condos with slip included. If I saw the right unit in the right area at that price, it would be awfully tempting.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am on the west coast of Florida, have a completely remodeled 2/2/2 modular on my own land, with pool, hurricaine windows, hugh garage, and.........dockage for 65 to 70 foot sailboat included. $100 per YEAR maintainence fee for the private street, depth maintained at 6' by the city of Punta Gorda. No bridges and homes on the street in the multi-millions. Beats the heck out of a condo......and for only $299,900!!!!!!!!!!!
PM me for visual tour and details (I want to sell and go sailing more)

·
Registered
339 Posts
TAXES!.....don't for a second forget the Fl. Taxes!......never mind the mortgage and fees......the TAXES alone will kill ya'.....

·
&#9608;&#9608;&#9619;&#9619;&#9618;&#9618;&#9617;&
13,645 Posts
What Fl taxes? Sales tax is competitive nationally. Real estate taxes typically competitive nationally (2 to 3 mils before exemptions). No income tax or school tax or personal property inventory tax--which beats most of the nation.

Florida is fairly infamous for having overall LOW taxes and LOW PUBLIC SERVICES as a result of it. (Like, lousy schools and poor public transportation.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts