SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep you read it right, i went to my boat about an hour ago to and i noticed my bimini is gone, and i mean the tubing the bases everything. it was unscrewed, there is no way it blew away, i had the cover on it folded and i have a split backstay that it captures. the bases that where screwed to the deck are gone too. lets see steps needed to remove it, undo cover, unzip the bimini from the frame, unzip the slots for the back stay. then take the tubing apart, because it surrounds the back stay, the unscrew the bases from the hull. i figure i could do it in 15 mins with hand tools.

for knowledge my boat is anchored between two marinas near the inner harbor in baltimore. so now i get to cruise thru the marinas looking for it, the question is what do i do when i find it. i know what it looks like do to wear on certain parts. i figure the worse thing i will do besides get it back when i find it, is to inform both marinas and several members i know in each that the boat owner is a thief. the real question is do i inform the police, one of my neighbors is a city cop and a friend. but the worse thing is letting the whole marina where the boat is that they have a thief for a neighbor. would not be surprised if one of them if the thief is in that one that they would throw them out.

first impression when i saw it missing was a small 1 inch hole at water line of what ever boat i find it on, but thats wrong, second was a large tear in a sail, but thats wrong too. the problem is with both the options is if i confront them they may retaliate and it still might not get me the bimini back, i think just demanding it back under threat of police, and ruining their rep in the marina should do :hothead :gunner :chainsaw :batter :hammer :chaser

·
..........huh?..
395 Posts
Well, thanks alot, Scotty. I was sitting here having a pleasurable friday evening, sucking down a cold one and you go and ruin it. Thieves just flat piss me off.:gunner I have a hard time believing it was a boat owner though that actually stole it. It was more likely some meth head looking for drug money and he'll either pawn it or sell it to some unsuspecting boater. Probably a good reason not to sink the boat you find it on. At least not til you find out the details. Anyway, good luck finding it. I'm on the wrong coast or I would help form the posse.

Doug

·
Just a Sailer
25 Posts
Someone walked off with three bumpers from my boat last year. I wasn't too happy until I found them on a boat in the same marina. I identified them by the same attachment ropes and fittings I had made to fit my rails. I asked the fellow where he got them, and he told me, from some young guy out of the trunk of his car... for $50.00. That's twice what I paid, and the guy was older and so likeable, I just walked away without telling him about my loss. Anyway, my new bumpers are now very well marked, and I don't leave them hanging on the boat. You never know what you'll do.

Steve

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a pic of my boat, you can see its not a normal looking bimini, the tubing is longer for the front loop, i should be able to recognize it. no comments of the messy sail flaking, i did not have the cover on yet when the wife took the pic

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
here is a pic of my boat, you can see its not a normal looking bimini, the tubing is longer for the front loop, i should be able to recognize it. no comments of the messy sail flaking, i did not have the cover on yet when the wife took the pic
Scotty,
Maybe its not you but the local scumbags who are revolting.....

Sorry to hear about your bimini...BUT.....ref your other thread on moving the mainsheet fittings on your boom....having seen that pic....don't do it. If you need to reposition the mainsheet you will need to put a travellor in the cockpit somewhere and get you attachment points aft. For mine, the points are already to far forward, or at least a bit marginal.

At least that is my opinion, for what it is worth

·
Registered
141 Posts
They may have taken it for scrap metal. That has been a hot item of late, but cooling down with the fall in prices. I have a site in Phoenix where every week someone come buy and pull about 1ft of copper wire out the light poles and cuts it off for scrap. I also lost a cat on my truck thanks to a portable sawsall and the price of platinum. Chances are they took it for the stainless tubing and will trash the canvas.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The best story of people stealing copper for scrap came from France a bunch of years ago. 2 theives were electrocuted trying to steal the the electrified catenary wires from part of the railroad system. The system runs at 24000 volts AC or 15000 volts DC.

·
Registered
100 Posts
last year my brothers and I had our boats down at Ken Lake. Brother Ben had a long dock line tying his boat at the stern. All tied up nice with the extra coiled on the dock. In the morning he had a short dock line just barely able to reach the cleat.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
yep you read it right, i went to my boat about an hour ago to and i noticed my bimini is gone, and i mean the tubing the bases everything. it was unscrewed, there is no way it blew away, i had the cover on it folded and i have a split backstay that it captures. the bases that where screwed to the deck are gone too. lets see steps needed to remove it, undo cover, unzip the bimini from the frame, unzip the slots for the back stay. then take the tubing apart, because it surrounds the back stay, the unscrew the bases from the hull. i figure i could do it in 15 mins with hand tools.

for knowledge my boat is anchored between two marinas near the inner harbor in baltimore. so now i get to cruise thru the marinas looking for it, the question is what do i do when i find it. i know what it looks like do to wear on certain parts. i figure the worse thing i will do besides get it back when i find it, is to inform both marinas and several members i know in each that the boat owner is a thief. the real question is do i inform the police, one of my neighbors is a city cop and a friend. but the worse thing is letting the whole marina where the boat is that they have a thief for a neighbor. would not be surprised if one of them if the thief is in that one that they would throw them out.

first impression when i saw it missing was a small 1 inch hole at water line of what ever boat i find it on, but thats wrong, second was a large tear in a sail, but thats wrong too. the problem is with both the options is if i confront them they may retaliate and it still might not get me the bimini back, i think just demanding it back under threat of police, and ruining their rep in the marina should do :hothead :gunner :chainsaw :batter :hammer :chaser
What a drag. But at least they didn't break into the boat. A number of years ago, someone climbed down my fore hatch while my wife and I were at
church of all places.
He or they did some pretty disgusting things in our head and ransacked the interior.
When we returned to the boat, I saw a couple of my wooden fids floating near the boat.
I didn't put it all together until we went below but they apparently grabbed my marlinespike box which was rather heavy and in the relative
darkness down below didn't know what they had.
When the got out into the light and saw what they had, the bastards threw it off the dock.
I was able to dive and retrieve most of my tools. But boy does it piss you off.
I feel for you.
My suggestion is that you talk to your cop friend and if you find the guilty party, at least have your uniformed friend put the fear of God into them.
Good luck and sorry for your misfortune.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not unexpected in Baltimore. You may be a resident, but i have no love for that city. Lots of crime.

We're in Galesville, where you could keep your boat at anchor there as well. Originally settled by the Quakers, it is a very safe place.

Moe

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think a police report is in order. You do not know if this is happening to others also, you could (although not likely) be the final case that helps solve a rash of crimes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here in Atlanta we've had a big problem with thieves stealing manhole covers and selling them for scrap.

Scott. I'd file a police report and keep my eyes open for your bimini. Chances are someone from one of the nearby marinas liked what he saw and helped himself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would also place an ad on craigslist about it being stolen. I did that when someone stole my motor off my boat. Had a lot of people on the Texas coast email me that they would keep and eye out for it.

If anyone has an extra bimini that will work on a Starwind 22 let me know I am in the market for one. Really cheap. I can't go sailing again until I get one. Got the word Tuesday that I have Lupus.

·
Sea Dweeb
143 Posts
Scotty,

It is a good idea to file a police report. Talk to your BCPD buddy. At least with a report file and you do see your bimini on another boat you have grounds to have them pinched. No police report, no crime.

Just a suggestion. By the way Moe I love B'almer

·
Registered
702 Posts
We had a similar problem only soem local druggy was stealing our 14 foot tender/fishing boat from our dock and using it to go to the local yacht club and steal things off boats on the moorings. One day my dad went down to the dock after our neighbor reported seeing someone take our boat after they downed a giant budweiser. He was with a cop and saw the guy on our boat. He fled and went out of sight and to a neighboring boat and ditched all the stolen goods which were a small flat screen, small navigation system and maybe a few speakers. They finally caught him then he fled the state........

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd have to second at least filing a police report. Not filing one only helps the thieves out.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Scott,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am down the river some at Rock Creek. On our trip to NYC last year when we stayed in a slip in Atlantic City we had our 50 amp shore power cored splitter removed in the middle of the night while we were on the boat. At 2 AM the air conditioning cut out and I went topside to see why and sasw the guy disconnecting it from the dock electric and chased him down the dock.

I woke up enough people that a good samaritan (68 Hatteras owner) tackled him and the police came and took him away. This in a quite well gaurded state marinia. It pays to make friends with you neighbors so you can all watch each others boats.

Dave

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
I went topside to see why and sasw the guy disconnecting it from the dock electric and chased him down the dock.

I woke up enough people that a good samaritan (68 Hatteras owner) tackled him and the police came and took him away. This in a quite well gaurded state marinia. It pays to make friends with you neighbors so you can all watch each others boats.
That would have been very satisfying. There is an old saying that comes to mind though. "Don't corner anything meaner than you are." A lot of the thieves out here in the PNW are on meth, which can affect their demeanor and judgment.

·
1,000 Posts
ScottyT

I am so sorry to read what happened to you!! That just drives me crazy, really...where I come from, we do beat the hell out of people for stuff like that, in the US you probably endup being sued...sorry, really am..

In my country, it's the French boats that visit us, that rob stuff..the French are known all over Southern Europe for doing that..in my marina we all run and lock the boatstie the fenders better and remove all no needed hardware from the deck, like spinaker blocks, etc...it's really frustrating..

Ince a French boat arrives we all start shouting among ourselves..HEY LOCK YOU BOAT, FRENCH ARRIVING!!!

Now I am not saying ALL French boats do that, but one in every 3 does that..they get fenders, blocks, outboards, lines etc...

I've had fenders, lines, blocks etc go, while we cruise in popular water they visit in Southern Europe...sad but true...

I know it's not nice to say, but, because of a few bad guys, all comunity pays for it...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes do the police report. They wont put much effort into finding your bimini but if you spot it then you have them on your side.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts