SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was until we did the ol snap the mast in half drill on my 1979 20' Mirage.:eek:

No one was hurt and we made it back to dock safely, it just added to the adventure that started yesterday, we jotted out into the ocean and then decided to moore out at the Little Jetties and invite some friends down to enjoy the beautiful evening and fire on the beach when the wind decide to turn the river into glass.

Never had that happen before; it is hard to be bumbed out when especially considering that no one got hurt, besides good God it is just too beautiful of a day down here in Sunny Florida to allow something so beyond your control to take away from it. Got a little rip in the main sail too but other than that I ought to be back in the water soon. I love saing this time of the year in Florida...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You're sailing... we're shoveling snow... you got nothing to complain about... :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you break the mast? Did the rigging fail first?
The rigging was intact. The mast seemed to be very plyable as if it was designed to bend to give the sail more foil. The mirage is a fast boat IMO. I am wondering if age had its way with the integrity, but there was an incident the night before that has me scratching my head.

The only thing that I can figure is how the night before we let out enough scope to manuever the boat closer to the beach so all we had to do was jump from the boat to the dingy and to the beach without getting wet.

Well this freighter came by and her rocking viciously back and forth as if it was beached. All we could do was watch in horror. The keel was lodged in the mud. I am thinking that was what may have created the stress points that allowed it to give way once we got her in some decent wind the next day.

It was not even a half hour of sailing before she finally gave way. Patrick noticed early on how the main sail was not foiling true about 1/3 of the way up the mast....

The challenge now is determining how much more girth to add to the next mast if any.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, glad nobody got hurt. Sounds like you've got a healthy perspective on it, though.

I can definitely concur that the weather down here (I'm in St. Augustine) has been absolutely beautiful lately. We went to the beach on Christmas day, and spent the next day sailing. Gotta love it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Jagsbch, We share your joy of sailing the St. Johns River. My avatar shows one of those great February days on our river, 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts