SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend lives in Wrightsville Beach and I was considering getting her a hobie cat for her birthday as she loves to sail. Is there anywhere around Wrightsville were you can leave a boat on the beach? I think having to trailer the boat and step the mast every time she uses it will be a little too much for her.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Unfortunately, Wrightsville Beach did away with leaving Hobie Cats on the beach many years ago. It's too bad, because it would be fun to launch/retrieve from the beach, although you'd need to do it up at the north end somewhere where it's not as crowded.

The other drawback is that the boat ramp is behind the drawbridge, so even if you trailered it, it wouldn't be easy to get out to the ocean from there.

If her house is on the water on the sound side, you could possibly launch over the bulkhead somehow and keep it in the yard, and she could at least sail the waterways, and maybe even access the inlet, depending on where the house is.

I've put a bit of thought into this because my father-in-law has a place down there, and I'd like to do the same thing. But his is on the sound side between the two fixed bridges, so there'd be no way to keep the boat there and be able to sail from there.

Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but let me know if I can help with any other questions.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are a couple of places along Banks Channel, in front of the Blockade Runner and Carolina Yacht Club, where people keep Hobie Cats. But I'm not sure if you can rent space to keep one there, or if it's all private.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In some ways, you're right. It is neat to sail a Hobie Cat or other small boat around the marshes and waterways, but there's not much in the way of places to keep them unless you live right on the water ($$$).

And then for bigger boats, it makes a good waypoint or jumping off point for ocean sailing, but there's not much room or depth for sailing around until you do go out the inlet.

I really enjoyed the time I spent living in Wilmington and like the Wrightsville Beach community in general, but it would take some dedication and compromises to make it your sailing grounds.

I'd love to hear from some other sailors who call that area home to see what they do and where they sail. Anybody?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts