SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of these on each side of my laguna 22, one at 6 foot from the bow and another at 12 foot on each side. Wondering what the hell they are used for--to the point of nagging at me. Thinking they may be some kind of guides for the storm(or #1 jib) sheets when in use, or maybe lifeline attachments, although there are none on the stern area of the boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
They look like fairleads for a furling line, although that would generally only be on one side. Has the boat ever had a furling jib?

Reactions: Crackaloon

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. The furling line had entered my mind, but they run down both sides of the boat. I was thinking tie-downs as well, but kind of a small boat to be tying things down up there. Really limits space on an already small bow area. Thinking about using them to stow a small inflatable while underway tho.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Cheapo substitutes for sheet blocks?

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was kinda my first thought.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No cleats in the area until you get back to the cockpit.

@ BL-- You typed that very authoritatively, are you stating or guessing? I can't tell.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Guys - it's a Windrose 22 - think cheapest possible solution to a minimum sailing configuration.

I doubt there has EVER been one with a spinnaker barber hauler setup. :)

Econo small boats frequently have bulldog fairleads for sheet leads where a more substantial boat would have track & blocks.

My first 20' was set up exactly that way.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
I think they are for double line furling control lines. You would have a continuous loop necessitating 2 lines being fed back to the cockpit. I might have the name wrong but not the function.

Tod

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have close to the same set up on my 26 ft "cheap" sailboat. I use the forward ones when I have my storm jib up and the aft ones when my genoa is being used. They seem to have been placed in the best spot possible for use with the 2 sails and seem to work very well. Keep in mind I'm not racing and have nothing to prove. Just like to get out on the water and sail. Bigger and more precise boats have a track so the point can be adjusted depending on what sail is being used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts