SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
...At times it steering seems excessive to maintain course...
Does it have adjustable gain and/or response? Or even better, does it have "AutoSeastate" feature? These things will allow you to reduce the steering, and reduce battery drain.

On my autopilot (different model from yours) I have the gain setting as a default data page so I can change it on the fly. I find that different settings are needed under different sea states.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I had trouble with the install to there where two install manuals one for and older model but no where is that mentioned...
Check again. It's there in section 1.4 "Adjusting pilot performance"
...I finally had to hire some one who was familiar with the unit. The steer course never corresponds with the compas but I can adjust for that. I just want the thing to steer the boat at this point...
How competent was this person that you hired? Did he take the boat out and drive it around in circles? I'm not joking - he should have done that.

If your fixed compass is adjusted correctly and your AP does not agree with it, there are several possible causes. The biggest cause could be that you have the AP set to display true compass readings, would would cause about a 12 degree error where you are (assuming this is set in the AP). This is the amount of magnetic variation (or declination) where you are. Setting it to display magnetic headings will make it agree better with your fixed compass.

Another cause of this problem may be that your AP has not been properly calibrated for magnetic deviation. This should only be done after you've placed all the metallic accessories, computers, radios, etc. relative to your AP's fluxgate compass. If your hired expert did not do this, or you've moved metallic stuff around on the boat since he did it, then you are going to need to do it yourself. Put your AP into Seatrial mode and drive in slow circles, as described in Chapter 3 of your Installation and Setup Guide.

If all this sounds crazy to you, then you can just live with your autopilot not being properly configured. But if you want it to work properly, this stuff is what you need to do.

If you don't know the difference between variation and deviation, then you might also want to consult a reference on marine navigation. [EDIT: Just checked your profile - looks like you definitely know about this stuff. Please disregard this comment.]

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I did all of those things and it may be the deviation I don't recall what the difference is was when it was working. Like I said at this point I just want it to work. The deviation here I believe is 12 or 13d west.
thanks when it gets working I'll mess with it some more
After re-reading your original post, I realize that your issues are deeper than the setup process. Faulty clutch, control head going black, and lousy response from customer service are big issues that go way beyond what I mentioned.

I agree with you - fix those other things first, then worry about proper setup parameters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.