SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ray Marine X-5 Auto Pilot and I am looking for opinions on them. I have had mine for almost two years it has been back to the factory once for a bad clutch. The problem began again with 5 hours of use. Calm seas 12 knots wind. I used a bungee cord to hold it in place. TRied to call the factory service line. No answer They promise to call back with in 8 to 12 hours I believe been a month now. The control head crapped out next. Well the error message was drive head stopped working. It was like that for a day unitl the controller went black.
I was getting ready to leave on a 3 week cruise up the So Cal coast with just 2 might not happen now. The unit appears to be crap has never worked well for more than a few hours. The factory service line is none responsive.
Sorry Ray Marine but you are bad. It took 4 weeks to get it back the 1st time now a cruise maybe canceled. our service line is worthless.
Is it just my unit or me or have others had problems with Ray Marine. I am so disappointed in them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had trouble with the install to there where two install manuals one for and older model but no where is that mentioned. I finally had to hire some one who was familiar with the unit. The steer course never corresponds with the compas but I can adjust for that. I just want the thing to steer the boat at this point. The opposite angle tack that it talks abvout would be nice if it worked but so far its a no go

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did all of those things and it may be the deviation I don't recall what the difference is was when it was working. Like I said at this point I just want it to work. The deviation here I believe is 12 or 13d west.
thanks when it gets working I'll mess with it some more

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After I messed with the installation for a bit I hired a pro and he did get it working but we didn't sea trail long enough to get the clutch slipping. That took a few hours of use.
It seem like I am not the only person having problems at installation and with lousy RM and WM service. I hope this diagram that is attach is correct I an off to check it now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bungee cord went over the pedestal mount on the binnacle then goes to the motor that turns the wheel. When the clutch slips I can hook the cord over the clutch end. It is very easy to slip back and forth and it is a lite weight bungee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.