SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this autopilot and your experience with it. I am presently looking for a new autopilot because my old Autohelm 4000 just died. I am unable to afford a really good pilot right now but need somthing since i single hand. I was looking at one of these new old stock on ebay but sounds like it would be a waste of money. I since went back and totally have torn apart my old 4000 and determined it was the motor that has failed ,just like yours, so I managed to overcome years of salt corrosion that had migfrated into the housing threds and finnaly seperated the halves of the motor housing. Guess what? Found a broken WIRE !! SAME THING moter twisted in housing but in the case of the autohelm there was a small metal pin that had pprevbented i from turning in the housing but on mine the pin had corroded(actually believe their might have been two pins because there are two small holes 180degrees apart and one had the corroded pin the other nothing. so I resoldered wire and got a pin from a watch band and fitted that in and now pilot back in working order again. SO good to go for now but obviously in the market for a new pilot

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.