SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Xantrex support guy says they no longer make the 2000R. The 2000R is a 2000 plus an alternator regulator and alternator output monitoring.

That may be news to some since their website still shows it. The support guy said they had decided it was too confusing having the regulator be sold and programmed as a part of the monitoring system.

How many years have they had they 2000R? And now it's too confusing? And why don't they update their website if a product has been discontinued?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I heard the same from Xantrex a couple month ago. I agree, it is confusing (and I haven't figuered it all out yet after having it for 2 years) but that's because the manual seems to be written by an engineer for another engineer who brings already some more insight to the table. I consider myself fairly smart, but I have trouble to fully understand ecerything (besides just pushing the right buttons and hope for the best).

I was told, the reason for discontinuing was, they didn't want to deal with repair and warranty anymore. I believe (but I am not certain) they didn't built the unit themselves in the first place.

I guess, if they (or whoever's oriduct it was would have made it a bit more userfriendly by re-writing the manual for us mortals and just publishing as a PDF on the web, they could have had a bigger followership and less "accidential" repair and warranty orders.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Link 2000R originally mfrd by Heart....sold to Xantrex. My Heart repair guy in Annapolis has nothing good to say about Xantrex. I would be very reluctant to buy anything from Xantrex.

Bruce

·
Registered
4 Posts
Link 2000R Xantrex/Heart

i know they have been discontinued but i just spoke directly to Xantrex as my 200R is no not functioning. Other than a couple recomendations,(and they are very rude as well) they say there is no fix or solution to my monitor. does anyone have a recomendation on a place to have it repaired? some other product to replace it? Any advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I tend to agree that the Link 2000R is too complicated for ordinary mortals, however well or badly written the instructions are. The idea of combining a smart regulator with a battery monitor and an inverter/charger seems to me to be very confusing. The Link 2000 -- without the regulator function -- is confusing enough :)

A better solution, IMHO, would be to go with separate dedicated devices: (1) a smart external regulator (e.g., the Balmar MC-612 or 614) to best harness the energy potential of the engine alternator(s); and (2) a straightforward battery monitor (e.g., the Victron 600).

Other onboard charging devices, presumably, have their own regulators (shore-powered charger, wind generator, solar panels/MPPT controller, etc.).

If they're all connected thru a single shunt, their contribution to battery charging will be measured by the battery monitor. Likewise, all loads on the batteries will be accounted for.

JMO,

Bill

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have heard that Xantrex is going to discontinue most of their marine line as it is not profitable enough. In fact I think a company bought up Xantrex. They are going to keep up their RV line. Just a sales mans speak at A to Z marine.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In January 2010 Vancouver BC based Xantrex Technology, Inc. changed it's brand name to Schneider Electric. Schneider is a worldwide player in the power industry, and Xantrex seems focused on the very large power markets, including solar, not the relatively small marine market.

See, e.g., Xantrex Technology Inc. - Corporate News

Their support has sucked for several years now, and it's very hard to recommend ANY Xantrex product. A possible exception is the excellent EchoCharge, a small device which is relatively trouble-free if installed correctly, requiring little if any after-sale support.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts