SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have occasionally bought boat stuff and then been told I have wasted my money cos theres a better thing at half the price...

So I ask you to comment on my pending purchase of a Xantex LinkLite battery monitor.

Is it the best for the price? Easy to install? Etc etc

Battery Chargers | LinkLITE Battery Monitor | Xantrex

Thanks muchly!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,865 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,856 Posts
As Brian said the Victron BMV-700 or 702 is a significantly better value and easy to install. (this from a guy who has a Link-Pro installed on his own boat:))

If you just want easy and SOC, so as not to murder your batteries, then the Smart Gauge is a far better and more accurate device that requires no human intervention beyond the initial two wire hook up and selection of battery type.

The Smart Gauge gets more accurate as time goes on and Ah counters only get less accurate as time goes on, requiring more re-programing..

If you just want amps, Ah's and volts then the BMV-700 is a great deal. If you want an SOC meter to know when to charge, and to display your SOC for the longest bank life, then the Smart Gauge wins...

If I were installing an Ah counter on my own boat today and price was an issue it would be the BMV-700... If I had lead acid batteries I would have a Smart Gauge in a nano second...

·
TROUBLE
963 Posts
Hey Mark,

I'm sure Maine Sail knows way more than me, but I'm totally satisfied with my LinkLite. I found it easy to install, and I'm just your average cruiser. Nothing complicated about it. If you happen to be buying someone's spare, or a used one, be sure it comes with the shunt. Happy new year Dude!

Ralph

·
3,505 Posts
Any idea of the bolt size on the shunt supplied with the Victron units? If I bought the Victron dual battery monitor could I use the my existing shunt from my Link/Xantrex 2000 dual battery monitor unit?

Mark-I happen to have a spare shunt for the link 2000....may be a bit far for you to pick up at the mo...

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Any idea of the bolt size on the shunt supplied with the Victron units? If I bought the Victron dual battery monitor could I use my existing shunt from my Link/Xantrex 2000 dual battery monitor unit?
No, they are quite different. While Xantrex uses a conventional shunt Victron's has a circuit board and different connection method to the head unit. They are not interchangeable.

They each come with the appropriate shunt included.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.