SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about resurrecting an old thread about boat names but my search fu was not up to snuff so I am starting a new one. I wanted to show off my cleverness in naming the dinghy and finally managed to get a pic.

yes I know Cher was bigger than Sonny but I was not about to rename the boat for the sake of the joke.

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My favorite name I have seen so far was Never Again III. It was on a boat close to mine in the yard and was in pretty bad shape. So either it was the last one or Never Again IV is taking all the attention.

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Saltwater Suzi just told me a couple of cute ones:

'Doctor's Orders' on the boat and 'Following Doctor's Orders' on the dinghy.
'Road Runner' and 'Coyote'
'Cabochon' (means unpolished gem) and 'Little Gem'

One I'd like to see, but never have is 'The Vessel Calling' (imagine the confusion on the VHF)

"City Marina, City Marina, this is the Poppinjay. We'd like to request a slip for tonight."
"This is the City Marina, back to the Vessel Calling, we have a slips available, what is your length, beam and draft."
"This is the Vessel Calling. Thanks, City Marina, but we don't need a slip."
"This is the Poppinjay. I'm the one who needs a slip."
"Vessel calling, please make up your mind, do you need a slip or not"
"Yes"
"No"
"City Marina, OUT."

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
I saw a sailboat named "Blow Me" a few months back... now that would make an interesting Coast Guard call...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Years ago there was a Columbia 34 down the dock from us named "Laughing Lady" with a dinghy named "Chuckles".
We named 0ur old Bayfield 29 "Joint Venture", the dinghy was "Dividend"
Back in the '60's my mom and dad named their black-hulled Hinckley B40 "Lola", from the line in a broadway show of the day, "what ever Lola wants, Lola gets."

·
Registered
20 Posts
cool names

I have to say that the most clever boat/ dingy name combo that I have ever seen is
Boat: Miss Behavin'
Dingy: Miss Behavin' (A little Bit)

Our boat on the other hand is s/v Ranger and the dingy is "Plan B"

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I still have dibs on the name; 'Winds of Time', for my next boat.

·
Registered
660 Posts
After a year of deliberating, we have settled on "Journey" for our Tayana, haven't come up with one for the tender yet. Got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
After a year of deliberating, we have settled on "Journey" for our Tayana, haven't come up with one for the tender yet. Got any ideas?
not the best, but the one that came to mind

on way to ( journey )
working on a "
living a ( really bad one )
the ultimate
short trip ( ie the little boat journey being the big boat )
not the band ( a really really bad one )

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Cute but not smart

My first boat on the bay was a Dickerson 35 ketch named Fancy Free. We liked the name -- and the carved name board -- so we kept it. We then got a sportyak dinghy which we named Footloose. After a number of unsuccessful attempts it finally escaped never to be seen again
:(

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Boat is named "Rhythm" ... of course the dinghy is named "and Blues" :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Side Trip
Short Hop

1 - 20 of 62 Posts