SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
What a great way to see the "big" picture. I'm wondering if those drones are gas or battery powered? Nonetheless any noise emitted didn't seem to bother the mother whale and her calf. Gotta get me one of those!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Cool. :)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
800 Posts
Wow- you have to be confident to fly your quad from a dinghy. I still have reservations about flying over water, period. My goal is to be ready by summer to get footage like that.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
We had a dolphin encounter like the one in the opening of the video while on passage between Costa Rica and Hawaii. About half way across hundreds of dolphins visited the boat at sunset three nights in a row....and then we're not seen again.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
You've inspired me to post my first video of us being "trampled" by a dolphin stampede, also off Dana Point.
Dolphin Stampede - YouTube
Very nice film. One of the things we do miss about SoCal is the schools of Dolphins that often accompanied us on our trips to Catalina from Angles Gate. We often have Dolphins here, but nothing like the numbers we experienced in SoCal.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Some years back, my wife and I were salmon fishing a few miles off of Bodega Bay in Northern California. Flat, dead calm, no other boats around us. I looked up to see a really big whale rolling right towards the boat about 30 feet away. He went right under us, never to be seen again by us, anyway. He made absolutely no sounds what so ever. I thought we were both going to die, scared the dickens out of us, whatever dickens are.

We both flew RC powered gliders for many years, auguring our share into the ground, being self taught. It looks like the drones may be easier to fly? Maybe slower and more stable.

I wonder how long it will be before they will make it illegal to fly them over whales? As mentioned, it didn't appear to bother the whales in any way.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Paul T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts