SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,198 Posts
Reaction score
+1.

Most things can be purchased online from West Marine or Defender and delivered to Australia cheaper than it can be purchased here locally.

I have attempted going into Whitworths with my online estimate, explaining to them that I am about to import a product at retail from the other side of the world cheaper than they wish to sell it too me and for the most part I am met with shrugs.

I do make an exception for my local chandlery however. ( Bosun's locker at Newport)
While their base prices may not be online super cheap, the knowledge and experience they dispense is invaluable and has saved me literally $1000s plus has put many a project on the right course.

They can tell me what works, what doesn't, what is worth the money and what is crap. They love nothing better than to solve a challenge for me and have spent considerable time on the phone chasing down an obscure answer to a boat problem. It is worth remembering and seeking out folk like this, and if it means you buy some overpriced cordage from them in return then it is worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.