SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone on here a budding yacht writer / journalist?

Looking for someone to write reviews on yachts for a website but struggling to find anyone who has both the required knowledge and the writing skills.

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Aren't we all "yacht writers", in a way?

You mean sail "yachts"? You'll find "we" tend to split into sailing folks and powerboat folks, with a few motorsailers inbetween. Big, small, medium, or all of the above? Most of us are in what I would call the "sailboat" category, with "yachts" being in the over (pick a number--60 feet? 80 feet? category). Others may have a different vocab on this.

And some have the background to talk about design and build, others to talk about how the boat sails. These may be two people, sometimes one.

Anyway, best of luck, but you may want to describe what you are seeking in a little more detail.

Or maybe I'm just being dense? Possible..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I don't have priviledges to send PMs back yet (in case people are waiting for replies).

We run a yacht charter comparison site, and are trying to create google-friendly profiles for each yacht (e.g. Bavaria 44s, 39s, etc - standard crusing yachts). Unfortunatley we're not very good with words, so could do with someone more professional to write them for us.

It ould be a couple of paragraphs on the actual boat, and then a little more depending on what we know about the boat from the yacht charter companies.

If poss please email me - aditogs at yahoo dot co dot uk

Thaks

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Yeah, you'll get wonderful "exposure" by working for nothing.
Next thing you know, the publishers will demand that we pay them.
Exactly. And the reviews will be just as honest and accurate and vendor advertising.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,584 Posts
Do I qualify?: I used to write hot emails to my girlfriend until she gave me the flick. Her butt was like a boat. A big boat.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
And that, boys a girls, is why good writers DO NOT write articles on the Internet. When I was still writing for print media, which was until 8 years ago, even the smaller publications paid a minimum of $150 for an 800-word feature with photos. Back then, you could still make a living as a writer. When the print media began falling apart, which was largely due to Internet freebees and thieves, I switched to a better paying job - playing music for the ladies. Not only does it pay far better, it's a lot more fun, no daily deadlines, all the things that is demanded of good writers.

Good luck on finding a quality writer,

Gary :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
And that, boys a girls, is why good writers DO NOT write articles on the Internet....

Good luck on finding a quality writer,

Except of course, lots of good writers DO write articles published on the internet. It's just another market. You choose to write for a site or not just as you choose to write for a start-up print magazine that can't yet afford to pay anything. I did that many moons ago so that I could get the experience of deadlines, editors, etc. and, of course, to see my name in print on something that didn't come off my own home printer.

Have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Donna, when I first began writing, it was 1975, and my very first article was published in Outdoor Life, a very prestigious outdoor magazine dedicated to hunting, fishing, boating and camping. It was a 1,200-word article that included a dozen 35-mm Kodachrome 64 slides, which the magazine required for all articles at the time. I was paid very well and immediately figured I hit the jackpot. I was not able to sell them another article for a decade - I guess I just got lucky the first time around.

One of the problems with writing for no-pay Internet publications is you quickly become known as the person that will write for no pay. Word gets around and pretty soon you are in very high demand to write blogs and other forms of features for these guys, they sell advertising and get paid, but you do don't! When I first got into the writing business, a very dear friend and author of more than 75 books said to me "If it's worth doing, it's worth getting paid for doing it."

My point is, your writing skills have a value that you should be paid for. You didn't learn how to write feature articles in an afternoon - it took years to develop and hone that skill, and that alone is worth being paid for. The skill to communicate with others through the written word is not something that everyone can execute successfully. You can see it in the many threads here where poor grammar and the misuse of certain words is commonplace. Those writing and communication skills have a significant value, and as such, they are marketable skills. However, you have to self-market them, and it's not at all easy to do so. Giving those articles away for free to Internet publications, unfortunately, will not provide the name recognition that most folks think they will. As I said at the outset, the only thing it usually accomplishes is providing you with a reputation of the person that will write for free.

Good luck, and if I can help you get into the paid category, I will be more than happy to do so.

Friend,

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.