SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've not done much sailing in the past but I am looking to do the fast track yachtmaster course with my partner and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any companies - good or bad.

I would be really grateful for some recommendations or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
A "fast track" yachtmaster is something of a contradiction in terms - in order to qualify you need certain levels of sea-time away from your home port and a range of other requirements that simply take time.

Check the RYA website - most Yachtmaster courses are based on their requirements.

Also be aware that there are others on this board that scorn Yachtmaster qualfications.

·
Self Grandizing Egotist
74 Posts
Scorn Yachtmaster ?

Wondering why ? Granted, some could argue about the merits of a "quickie" course that takes a mere 14 weeks but it does represent some intense tuition no ?

I would've thought that obtaining your YM certification would be a helluva lot better than some of the ASA 10 day shake'n bake courses I've seen advertised on this side of the pond.

Boggled

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The "Don't Tread on Me" types notwithstanding, the YM courses provide a baseline of competency and skills that insurers find appealing. Of course, a citizen sailor is one thing, but who wants a citizen brain surgeon?

"BADGES? I DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts