SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am buying a used yacht and at some stage would like to charter it or take people out on day sails in Australia can anyone tell me what pre-requisites would need to be met and what steps would need to happen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and I had a good read on the AMSA site (should have mentioned in my post).

What isn't clear is if say I purchase an older Huon pine yacht or similar that could be good for tourism purposes that wasn't built to a particular standard like NSCV Part C Sections 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Is it just possible to get the yacht surveyed by a professional marine surveyor (assuming of suitable construction for partially smooth waters / inshore) and then it becomes "under survey"?

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Thanks and I had a good read on the AMSA site (should have mentioned in my post).

What isn't clear is if say I purchase an older Huon pine yacht or similar that could be good for tourism purposes that wasn't built to a particular standard like NSCV Part C Sections 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Is it just possible to get the yacht surveyed by a professional marine surveyor (assuming of suitable construction for partially smooth waters / inshore) and then it becomes "under survey"?
In a word NO.

Perhaps a common misconception but a Marine Survey and a vessel In Survey are not the same thing. The MS is purely an inspection by a suitably qualified individual culimnating in a report on that vessels condition for as examples a prospective buyer or for insurance purposes. It has in its essential form nothing to do with being in survey for charter use.

To have a vessel certified to be In Survey requires that the vessel concerned has been built to the required standards which brings into play such things as watertight bulkheads. If a vessel was originally built not taking e.g. such things as WBHs into account it is usually, though I am sure there are exceptions, not practical to upgrade said vessel retroactively.

·
3,505 Posts
Coxswains ticket at the minimum, and mostly likely your master Class IV certification...not to mention STCW 95 to operate said vessel. You may need someone with a MED I or MED II ticket as well. A big can O worms for you to delve into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that and starting to make sense but they sure do make this complicated.

Have you seen the AMSA805? (Sorry I can't post links yet)

"Yachting Australia vessels operating in class D or
E waters will not require a Certificate of Survey.
However, existing vessel operations will require a
Certificate of Operation by 1 July 2016 at the latest,
in accordance with the National Law. New vessel
operations will require a Certificate of Operation
from commencement of the National System on 1
July 2013"

Sounds like maybe if you have a yacht that is in smooth or partially smooth waters you may not need a Certificate of Survey which I assume means the same thing as "In Survey" though I could be mistaken.

It is all a bit like when I ask my American wife to explain to me the difference between "The Wicket", "A Wicket" and "The Wickets"!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Actual practice may vary. I was aboard a Spray replica in Melbourne a few years ago. (St. Kilda Spray) The hull was full of styrofoam blocks ,positive floatation, to carry day passengers in Lakes Entrance. In Canada all you need is several WT bulkheads (certified), and certified drawings of hull stability, stabilitly flooded,.wiring and plumbing drawings (certified) all required fire suppression equipment (certified) annual inspections of everything and pull the rudder and shaft every 4 years. On top of this short list, the plan is to pass the responsibility of inspection directly to Lloyds ( just pay and pay until they tell the gov't you're good to go ) On the other hand I had a great run for 25 years and got out in a timely fashion to spend all the big bucks the tourists gave me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.