SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looking at some drawings, I strongly doubt anything you did extracting those bolts would introduce oil into the cylinder or exhaust system.

I agree with @Minnewaska. Run it up to temp and spend an hour at cruising RPM. Check the oil after it's warmed up a bit and again after your run to see if you are truly losing oil.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I pulled the head off today, and my mechanic friend was right. I have a hole in the head, visible through the hole where the exhaust elbow and the head meet. I did not have to remove the head to see this, but it had to be done anyway... could not see a hole while the head was mounted. View attachment 139625
My engine was fine before I serviced the elbow, but that was only because layers of carbon were keeping the hole shut. I cleaned them off... and immediately after I started to have oil mixed in with the water. So yea, I've found my problem.
Oofda! Well, they're good engines if you can find a new head....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Some of my more hardcore DIY friends suggested getting bronze brazing rods, heating the whole thing up 500 degrees in a bbq and brazing the area (!!!). More reasonably, he mentioned pinning the hole, but I am not sure if that's really a good idea either ;).
I'm all about heroic DIY saves, but patching that is another hidden problem waiting to happen. You'll never be able to monitor the fix but at least you won't have to guess when it fails. New head saves you time and worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts