SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having same exact problem (Yanmar 2GM 13 hp, raw water cooled) related to oil in the exhaust with noticeable sheen. Rapid loss (2 qts /hr), even at idle with and without load. Thankfully Have not ran oil low enough to sound the alarm.

In addition, have large amounts of white (possibly blue) billowing smoke while in gear at cruising RPM. Though, smoking stops if taken out of gear and ran at ~2,800rpm.

My suspicion was oil cooler or turbo failure, but neither installed. No issues with starting or loss of power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was going to pull the head off mine to do a check-up but time flies... and I'm on the hard this week. Too much to do...

I had a mechanic come by to see my engine a few days ago, and he suggested I start with removing the head. Did you mess with your engine at all before it developed this problem?
No, no previous changes to the engine, aside from sitting a couple weeks, some idling at the dock and not running up hot. Nothing to out of the normal to have this problem develop and worsen quickly.

First symptom was a slight white smoke/odor while motoring out (~1hr @ typical 2400 rpm cruising at 5 knots).

Sailed a few hours before motoring 5mins into my slip when I noticed the oil sheen in the exhaust.

While doing the routine fresh water flush the oil sheen became worse. Checked the dip stick and lost 1/2 qt oil. Replaced the oil to proper level and motored out again thinking to run WOT and blow out unburned fuel & carbon. Billowing white smoke and increase oil sheen from the exhaust.

Returned back to the dock after an hour and lost 1qt. of oil. I swapped out the mixing elbow for a new one, headed back out and again had the same results of white smoke and rapid loss of oil out the exhaust.

I'm now thinking blown piston rings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well well well, that sucks eh? I sympathize. Not glad that you have a hole, but am glad that you too found the culprit.
Doubt anyone will recommend prepping the surface and JB weld DIY job, or even have a machine shop repair for the cost of just replacing with a used top end for $500-700? Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts