SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plese help!

I thought my throttle cable was binding; however, on closer investigation, I found the cable to be fine and the fuel control arm to be seized up. I have removed the linkage and tried to lube the spline with no luck.

I saw on another forum that someone else had this issue, but there was no resolution posted. Has anyone else had this?

I am trying to get a mechanic to call me back, but it is tough to do. I will likely end up repairing this myself.

Also, which manual is better - the Clymer or the Yanmar manual? I will need to buy one. I have the Selco(?) and it is basically crap for repairs.

Steve

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
spc..
Do you have a picture of it, or a drawing?
It's probably just corrosion and it should be relatively easy to fix.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Steve, I've extract of Yanmar service manual (3MB). The chapter on Fuel and Governor would possibly interest you.
PM me your email.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Similar problem

I have a similar problem, throtle was hard to push (pull), and idle kept getting higher. Found that the cable was not my problem. I discovered that the cable conects to a rod. The rod to the fuel injection. This rod had somehow shifted (into the engine), slid past its indent. I removed the plate that covers the area it enters the engine, gently pulled the rod out to its proper length, so the indent aligns with the plate (which is suposed to keep it in place), problem solved! Or at least I thought. the next time I went sailing, the problem began again. I fixed it again... So I went to the Authorized Yanmar Service Guys to ask for there help, and look at their repair manual. So they looked it up, and told me that there was a circlip (snap ring) missing, so they ordered me the part. NO WAY THAT THIS PART EVER EXISTED IN THAT SPOT! So, I did what I could do , adjusted the plate (filed the holes so that the plate would align better with the notch better) and put it all back togther. So far so good, but I am sure time will tell.

Tell me what you tried?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts