SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum, I am a newbie - just bought a '79 Catalina 27'. The original engine was a Petters (sp?) and it currently has a Yanmar 2GM20F inboard diesel. I've heard the engine is worth more than the boat. Ha!

At any rate, I have scoured the web, and am not finding any kind of a simple maintenance checklist. I am not one to be very mechanically inclined, though I have successfully replaced the impeller, mixing elbows in order to resolve engine overheat.

The previous owner did not sail her very often and as such, I want to start fresh with all of the maintenance needs so I have a base level and feel comfortable with any upkeep going forward.

Any ideas of what book or guide or manual I can rely on for upkeep?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
go to L-36.com. They probably have a manual in the Manuals section.

As for maintence, change the impeller and fuel filters annually, oil every 50 hours, keep the fuel clean. It will outlast both of us if cared for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@dbw_kairos did you ever find a good maintenance log? (I'm new to diesel engines this year.) E.g. changing the transmission fluid is not mentioned in the thread above... The Yanmar manual I have does not have a prescribed schedule, like car manuals do. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I check the trans fluid level a couple times a year and change every 2 or 3 years. Some change annually. Make sure you use the right fluid. Most Yanmars use engine oil but some use ATF.

·
Registered
Catalina 309; O'Day DS-II; various kayaks & beach toys
31 Posts
@dbw_kairos did you ever find a good maintenance log? (I'm new to diesel engines this year.) E.g. changing the transmission fluid is not mentioned in the thread above... The Yanmar manual I have does not have a prescribed schedule, like car manuals do. Thanks.
For a Yanmar GM series as the original poster mentioned?

I have an electronic copy of the GM operator's manual which is very detailed in the "how to" but you are correct that there are no maintenance intervals listed that I can see. I think you'd be safe using the YM intervals.

Speaking of which...

I have an electronic copy of the YM series operator's manual and it does include intervals for basics as would be performed by an owner. (Filters, fluids, impeller.) It does not include as much detail as the dead-tree version that came with the boat, which also describes maintenance intervals for items best done by professionals. (Engine mounts, shaft alignment, etc.)

If you can not find a copy online, send me a PM. If your mailbox has the capacity, the GM series manual is about 1.5MB and the YM series manual is about 3 MB. I thought I had another e-copy version of something but it might be on my old computer. If I turn up anything else I'll update.

·
Registered
705 Posts
@Sbkidd I run the 2GM20F as well. Great little engine. I gave up searching for a checklist, it would be fairly short anyway.

Service intervals are sprinkled throughout the manual. Most of them are 250-300 engine hours which is WAY more than I run in a season. The coolant interval is 500 hours which I might actually attain before selling the boat.

I change the oil annually and do the transmission at the same time (same oil), and inspect the rest and service as needed. I changed the engine fuel filter a couple years ago just because I never knew how old it was. I have a spare on deck for the inline filter which I've run for 6 years (It's hard to reach so I'll change it when I have to). I fuel using jerry cans so no question about clean fuel. I use regular automotive oil filters.(They get changed at less than a third of the service interval anyway)

The filter looking thing in the air intake is actually a silencer. You'll know when it starts to disintegrate.

I have a buddy running a 3GM30F who has had injector problems, but I think that has more to do with his messing with them. His lesson learned is to keep a new spare on hand, and have the old ones rebuilt as needed. I don't have a spare and don't lose sleep over it.

If you don't know how the PO cared for the engine, I'd recommend changing the oil pressure sensor... it's a $10 part and you can go mad trying to figure out why your engine isn't getting any oil pressure (there's a story there).

Spares:
-Impeller (3)
-Alternator belt (3)
-Water pump belt (3)
-Thermostat (1)
-Oil pressure sensor (1)
-Temp sensor (1)
-Oil filters (3)
-Engine fuel filter (1)
-Inline fuel filter (1)
-Air intake silencer (1)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I change my engine fuel filter every year. I pull the raw water pump impeller every year and carefully examine the blades for cracking. I keep a new spare on the boat. Note to also get a few water pump gaskets for your spares. They are treated paper and pretty fragile. I put a new one on each year after I take the pump apart.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Be wary of the online sources for Yanmar parts. Yanmar is a territorial distributor so most online Yanmar branded stuff is either knockoff or product that has found its way outside of the network, probably more of the latter. Find your local dealer or regional distributor.

I pull the raw water pump impeller every year and carefully examine the blades for cracking.
This is a good practice. However, I've had two impellers fail in six years. I've never been able to see a difference between the failed impeller and the replacement. But again, I run pretty low hours and I attribute those failures to times when I had to redline the engine.

Good point on the gaskets. I don't recall if the replacement impeller comes with a new gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A friend showed me today how to change the fuel filters so i can do it myself in future. (YouTube videos were just missing important bits for me. Anyway I do better being shown once and learning hands on.)
So, rather than remove the batteries to get at the fuel tank and the shutoff valve, what we did was merely pinch the fuel line to stop the flow of fuel and that worked great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts