SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is your transmission or an exact replacement out of production? I haven't had any luck with rebuilds and I think you're going to be a long way away, by the time you may need to collect on that warranty. That certainly doesn't mean this won't work.
My transmission is long out of production yes. The tranny is in great shape other than the brass cone clutch worn out. It is being replaced with 100% yanmar/kanzaki parts so I'm not worried. My other option is buy a used Km2a of unknown condition and frankly my freshwater tranny still looks brand new so buying another 40yr old piece that may or may not have been taken care of just doesn't work.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
I agree, I would rebuild mine, before I gambled on another 40 yr old tranny.

Did you really put 5,000 miles on the tranny or on the boat?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I agree, I would rebuild mine, before I gambled on another 40 yr old tranny.

Did you really put 5,000 miles on the tranny or on the boat?
Did not calculate specific miles I guess I meant 5000nm travelled with quite alot of that by motor. I'll see if I can find the hours in my log. For our trip the 500nm of great lakes was 95% sailed, erie canal was entirely motor same with the Hudson river, southbound 1/2 sailed half motored via ICW, bahamas 95% sail, and northbound almost all motor to the chesapeak due to weather not cooperating.

EDIT: 804 hours since we first flushed the transmission with clean proper oil until today when it's time to finally do a rebuild.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jobs done. Shift collar was a bit worn and all bearings amd seals were replaced since it was apart. The cone was burned up pretty good. He said he's never seen one so discoloured before. I think it's a combination of nearly permanent varnish from the wrong oil for many years mixed with heat from slipping. At any rate this gives me better insurance I'll be able to motor up the Hudson, erie canal, and at clair river with one less thing to break down. Pics of a new one vs. My old one:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts