SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the water pump on my 34' Peterson (Yanmar 2qm15 wth seawater cooling) All seems well but took her for a ride this morning and the Water Temp. Light came on after about 30 minutes at 2200 RPM. Had temp gun and the highest temp on the engine I could find was 138 degrees F. I will replace the temp gage tomorrow.
Fellow sailor at Marina suggested that I might have to desalinate the engine.
Two questions:
1. Is there an accepted procedure for this and can I do it at the Marina?
2. What is the normal cruising RPM for this engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the sensor, mucked out the chamber and replaced it. It was really in bad shape. Took a 5 mile ride at 2200 and no red light. Hopefully I got it fixed. Looks like I may have to do the engine like Rockter suggested as there was a lot of gunk Did not have time to test the sensor but will look at doing that next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK now I need to know what the best de-scaling liquid is please. Will try to flush the engine this weekend. As well, what temperature is the thermostat set at. I will replace it as well but the parts person did not have that information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.