SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Launched my Oday 30 yesterday and one of my cooling pipes sprang a leak. When looking for a replacement part this AM was informed that part (124070-49060 PIPE, COOLING WATER) has been discontinued by Yanmar. This is the molded pipe that is located in the front of engine and goes from spot where the zinc is located and runs against the engine to the thermostat. The pipe is also wrapped in a coil of wires.

Has anyone else replaced this pipe? Is there an acceptable replacement? Any insights would be welcome before I start the process of replacing. Thanks...PK

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You might try these guys Boatswain's Locker , also a friend of mine gets parts for his from the tractor suppliers . If you can't find it , I would make one up . Just get the correct size water hose and where you need to make a sharp bend hose clamp in a bronze fitting . Has your engine been converted to fresh water cooled ? Not that it really matters just curious .

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
I should think this would be a quick and inexpensive fix at any welding or machine shop.
When you run into these sort of problems underway, it's easily temporarily repaired by using a small bit of rubber (inner tube or dinghy patching material) and a hose clamp over the hole. If it's a seawater line, then there's almost no pressure and if fresh, it's pretty low pressure, so it doesn't need to be tightened so much you dent the pipe/tube.

Reactions: Pcpk

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yammer no longer makes the bent molded rubber hose so I doubt any of the Yanmar parts dealers will have it. even if another dealer has one he can't sell out of his area. I have replaced the original molded hose with a piece of regular coolant hose. the wire warping is there to avoid chafe from the engine vibration. it is hard to get the hose on the anode fitting because it is in a tight space and the hose may want to kink because of the bend. we added a stainless steel spring on the inside of the hose to keep the hose from collapsing at the bend.
I have heard of someone that used a hose from a latter model to get a section of bent hose and then had a splice in a section of straight hose to make up the correct length

Reactions: Pcpk

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
Yammer no longer makes the bent molded rubber hose so I doubt any of the Yanmar parts dealers will have it. even if another dealer has one he can't sell out of his area. I have replaced the original molded hose with a piece of regular coolant hose. the wire warping is there to avoid chafe from the engine vibration. it is hard to get the hose on the anode fitting because it is in a tight space and the hose may want to kink because of the bend. we added a stainless steel spring on the inside of the hose to keep the hose from collapsing at the bend.
I have heard of someone that used a hose from a latter model to get a section of bent hose and then had a splice in a section of straight hose to make up the correct length
OOps. I assumed "pipe" meant metal, not hose, which is what Perkins uses for these lines. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
Hey, thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be ordering some things from them. Especially liked the hose clamps.
A question though; what is the difference between the red and blue hose other than color?
Do you think that hose would hold up in a diesel application? Sure would make the engine room sizzle. I could do blue for freshwater and red for seawater, though I'd prefer green.
Zoom, zoom, zoom....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all...I thought I would have to "manufacture" something but these insights will definitely help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
H, thanks for the response and help. I plan on tackling this project this weekend and was wondering in your opinion, is the wire wrapping necessary? Any insights are appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might try these guys Boatswain's Locker , also a friend of mine gets parts for his from the tractor suppliers . If you can't find it , I would make one up . Just get the correct size water hose and where you need to make a sharp bend hose clamp in a bronze fitting . Has your engine been converted to fresh water cooled ? Not that it really matters just curious .
Hasn't been converted but most motoring is done on a brackish river so not a big concern

1 - 10 of 10 Posts