SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm a new member to SailNet and a new owner of a 1979 Spirit 28. I'm in the cleaning and fluid changing stage now and have not had her sailing yet. When I start the engine and put the shifter in forward I get a whining noise from the tranny , but no noise in reverse. It's not that loud but it's is a whine. Is this normal? I am only shifting forward and reverse in the slip so I can't leave it in gear for a long time. It makes this noise before and after I changed the AFT. I read that the transmission must be fully engaged or you can damage it so I will check the shifter cable to make sure it is. Do these transmissions have a different sound in forward then reverse? Thanks in advance. Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I just got home from the boat. More cleaning and maintenance. I had a friend in the cockpit shift the lever slowly as I was down by the tranny. The tranny shifted all the way forward, even past the part when it click into gear. It did the same in reverse. I then started the motor and had my friend shift the tranny into forward and reverse, the shaft turned in both F and R but the tranny had a whine in forward only. I can only do this for a few seconds because I an tied to the dock. The ATF looked clean when I pumped it out? I will have my insurance tomorrow in effect so I can go for a test cruise to see if anything changes. I also have the Manuals and will look at them tonight. Thanks for the offer to send them to me. Any help is appreciated.
Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts