SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a few "first time I ever did this" episodes on this Hunter 34 I bought last August.

Anyhow, I did the oil change first time I ever used a pump to pump the oil up and out the dipstick tube seems really stupid to be practical but it does work, change the oil that wasn't too much problem oil filter is under the alternator and quite easy to reach,
now... changing the fuel filters it was difficult mostly because of location of the Racor 12T this is my second boat with
A the previous owner installed squeeze bulb it definitely saves the day
Leading the air out of the fuel lines up to the injector pump was difficult at first but once I was able to access everything and put paper towels on the bleeder I did each component
The banjo bolt on the engine filter with the copper washer definitely needs something softer
The Racor filter definitely confirmed to me would I basically already know that I need to access the fuel tank with a new plate and clean the crud and water out of the bottom
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Computer cooling Computer hardware Electrical wiring

Fluid Liquid Cylinder Tints and shades Drink

Glasses Vision care Product Eyewear Font

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics
As it turns out the fuel actually siphons from the tank down to the fuel line and only slightly up to the injector pump I'm not impressed with the mechanical fuel pump at all May changes someday to Electric
PO made the filters so tight we had to use two monster channel locks to remove the element from the body which of course meant bringing it out and above which then meant spilling fuel over place because I didn't think about the fuel siphoning from the tank before I turns off the valve at the tank.
Automotive tire Pliers Automotive lighting Bumper Garden hose

Plumbing fixture Fluid Tableware Cuisine Ingredient

Liquid Fluid Line Font Cylinder

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
812 Posts
A handy tool to loosen the on-engine fuel filter is a "hook spanner". I have had one for maybe 15 years to use on my Yanmar 3HM35F. It is marked Chrome Vanadium 1 1/4-3" on one side and 32-76 on the other. It is chrome plated and a bit roughly made looking like the typical cheap Chinese stuff. but, it works. McMaster Carr has one that I think is like it, but there is no way I paid $50 for it. McMaster-Carr My guess is that I got it from from Advance Auto, Amazon, or similar.

I too found my on-engine filter ring too tight. I bought the wrench to loosen it. Maybe your PO hade one to tighten it up with.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh the engine filter was loose enough. it was the racor that was so impossibly tight
So look what I find after the oil change has already been done but I'll come in handy for next time just need to get a new plug and tube for it
Drinkware Fluid Paint Liquid Cylinder

·
Registered
286 Posts
A handy tool to loosen the on-engine fuel filter is a "hook spanner". I have had one for maybe 15 years to use on my Yanmar 3HM35F. It is marked Chrome Vanadium 1 1/4-3" on one side and 32-76 on the other. It is chrome plated and a bit roughly made looking like the typical cheap Chinese stuff. but, it works. McMaster Carr has one that I think is like it, but there is no way I paid $50 for it. McMaster-Carr My guess is that I got it from from Advance Auto, Amazon, or similar.

I too found my on-engine filter ring too tight. I bought the wrench to loosen it. Maybe your PO hade one to tighten it up with.
This sounds like a good tool to have. In a pinch though, I have put a screwdriver tip at the indents and tapped it with a rubber mallet.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems all I had to do was look in another box low and behold

·
Registered
SV Raven
159 Posts
Random side note: for oil filters I use the stamped metal “cup” sized to the oil filter that a socket wrench fits. The racor, not having the closed and “flatted” bottom (not sure the world to describe) gets a rubber strap filter remover.

wsmurdoch, Great tip on a spanner for the primary. I always use channel locks…. Amazon to the rescue for under $20…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts