SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on the boat motoring south on the ICW north of Beaufort, SC. We are on our way to the Bahamas. This morning when I checked the engine oil level, I discovered that the rubber stopper on the dipstick will slip up or down the dipstick. I don't know where the 'right' spot for it is. Until I can get a new one, I need to know where to place it on the dipstick.

Would one of you with a Yanmar 3HM35F measure the distance from the bottom of the shoulder on the rubber stopper that rests on the top of the hole in the engine to the upper fill mark on the dipstick. That would be the distance from the top of the hole in the engine down to the full oil level. Knowing that I can duct tape the stopper in place for a few days until I can get a replacement.

Thanks,

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suggest calling one of the local dealers..might get a faster responce.
I called Mack Boring in Union, NJ. They did not know the distance from the full mark to the spot of the stopper that rests on the engine. They suggested I buy a new dipstick and gave me the phone number of the dealer in Hilton Head, SC saying he could order one and hae it in two or three days.

A sketch of the dipstick is in the Parts Manual, and I have scaled the proper location of the rubber-stopper-like part from that sketch. I've duct taped the stopper in that location, and I'll run that way until I get a new dipstick.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Interesting that Mack Boring couldn't provide a measurement from a OEM dip stick in stock as they are the NE Yanmar distribution point. May I suggest that you take a measurement of your transmission dip stick..I've heard reports of those breaking as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting that Mack Boring couldn't provide a measurement from a OEM dip stick in stock as they are the NE Yanmar distribution point.
I spoke to Jordan this morning at Mack Boring. I called them because they rebuilt my engine in 2010. They told me that they are not rebuilding engines any more. That work is being left to their dealers.

If you have a dipstick for a 3HM35F, lock it up. A replacement (Part # 128695-34800) is $71.09.

Looking at older posts, others have puzzled when the Yanmar documented oil capacity of their engine did not match the dipstick level. It leaves me wondering if others have had the rubber stopper slip on the dipstick wire.

This is the distance I am interested in:

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bill would you know if the dipstick is the same part as the one found in the 4 cylinders diesels on the PSC37s? I have a friend w/a PSC37 on Hilton Head not too far from you.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill would you know if the dipstick is the same part as the one found in the 4 cylinders diesels on the PSC37s?
I don't know. My guess is not, because there are different dipsticks in the 3GM and 3HM engines and because it took Jordan a while to remember that the 3HM dipstick was made of wire that is flattened on one end.

In the sketch of the dipstick in my 3HM parts manual, the marks on the dipstick are 13.5mm apart and the shoulder of the rubber stopper is 17mm above the upper oil level mark. On the real dipstick the marks are 81.5mm apart. Scaling up, the stopper shoulder on the real dipstick should be 102.5mm above the upper oil level mark. A millimeter or two below that spot the color of the dipstick changes from bright steel to blackened steel leaving me to guess that is where the stopper should be placed. I've taped it in place there. My guess is that the true distance should be 100mm.

When I do an oil and filter change in a few days, I'll see if the documented 5.4 liters fills the crankcase to that mark location. That will be more oil than I have been using to fill the engine.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
When I do an oil and filter change in a few days, I'll see if the documented 5.4 liters fills the crankcase to that mark location. That will be more oil than I have been using to fill the engine.
I would be careful with that. My shop manual says the 3HM oil capacity is 5.5 liters, but the "effective capacity" is 3 liters. It does not define "effective capacity", but I take this to mean that is how much you can get out when changing the oil, and thus how much you should put back in.

I overfilled my oil once on a previous boat and it was a nightmare.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I overfilled my oil once on a previous boat and it was a nightmare.
I've overfilled an engine as well. It nearly broke my cheapskate heart to pump out oil I had just added.

My stopper had slid up the dipstick a couple of inches and had been there for some time. With the stopper now relocated back to 100mm or 4.25" from the upper mark, the oil level that was previously full to the top became half way between the maximum and minimum marks.

As best I can tell only glue (or whatever) held the stopper to the dipstick. My bet is that my past forceful pushing of the dipstick back into the engine drove the dipstick through the stopper and deeper into the crankcase.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My shop manual says the 3HM oil capacity is 5.5 liters, but the "effective capacity" is 3 liters. It does not define "effective capacity", but I take this to mean that is how much you can get out when changing the oil, and thus how much you should put back in.
I too have puzzled over what "effective capacity" means. Tonight, I let Google puzzle for me. It found at:

http://www.yanmaritalia.it/amministrazione/repository/varianti/mo_pdf/8/YM_V2_21JAN09.pdf

on page 80 are two definitions:

The "total" oil quantity includes oil in oil pan, channels, coolers and filter.

The effective amount of oil shows the difference in maximum scale of the dipstick and minimum scale.

I would have never guessed that as the definition of "effective amount".

My Yanmar Service Manual is a little different from yours. It lists Crankcase oil capacity, Total (effective) as 5.4 (2.7) liters for the 3HM35(F)(C).

Oil change due tomorrow. We'll see how it goes with the duct tape repaired dipstick.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have two Yanmar books.

The first is "Yanmar Diesel Engine Operation Manual Pub# AOB5004". On page 4 it gives for the 3HM35F engine, "Lubricating oil capacity (rake angle 8°), Total, liter (cu.in.), 5.4 (329.51), Effective, liter (cu.in.), 2.7 (164.75).

The second is "Yanmar Service Manual, Marine Diesel Engine, Models 1GM10(C), 2GM20(F)(C), 3GM30(F)(C), 3HM35(F)(C)". On page 6-4 it gives for the 3HM35(F)(C) engines, "Crankcase oil capacity , Total (effective), liter, 5.4 (2.7)".

I drained the engine using my oil extraction pump which has a brass tube that passes through the dipstick hole and makes a nice click then it hits the inside of the oil pan.

I removed the oil filter and replaced it using a Fram PH-5046. (I list the particular filter because different filters may have different interior volumes.) I added a gallon of Rotella 15W-40. That filled the dipstick to spot 140mm below the shoulder on the duct taped in place stopper. I added another 1-1/4 quart of oil which placed the oil level 105mm below the shoulder of the stopper. That is the current location of my maximum fill mark. (It is a sort of average of the different places I think the stopper should be located.) That makes the total capacity 5.0 liters, and the difference between the minimum and maximum marks 2.75 liters. Both numbers are pretty close to the numbers in my manuals. Maybe I left 0.4 liters in the engine either in the crankcase or in other low spots in the block, or maybe my filter is smaller than the factory's, or maybe the dipstick stopper should have been 100mm above the maximum mark.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
on a mooring ball in St Augustine in the drizzle with plenty of time to type

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bill ,

I too am in St.Augustine but I'm here by car.If you need transportation anywhere I have wheels,we met several years ago in Georgetown,SC.
My C37 NiftyNickers is under cover and snow in NJ but I'm in sunny Fla.until Sunday Feb 8.
My cell # :732-331-6322

hope to hear from you,
Dianne and Chuck Burke

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hope to hear from you
Oops. We left St Augustine at 10am on Thursday when the rain stopped. A car would have been great. I walked in the drizzle the 4 miles out and back from Home Depot, Radio Shack, Target, West Marine, Winn Dixie, Staples, the roadside vegetable place, and the ABC store. My hands (and the pack) were full, so I couldn't stop at Sailor's Exchange on this trip.

We are down in New Smyrna Beach anchored just south of the high rise bridge.

Position Reports for AK4PO

The red one is the current position. All the blue ones are old, but can't be erased.

Shipments from Amazon await us in Vero Beach.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ahoy all,
While I don't have anything helpful to add to the conversation about the dipstick/capacities, etc. I'd like to remind everyone that excessive oil in the crankcase of a diesel engine is dangerous in more than an annoying way. It can lead to a runaway engine if circumstances allow crankcase oil to make it to the combustion chambers. An example would be an engine that had, perhaps, rings worn enough to allow some oil bypass from the crankcase up to the combustion chambers. If that happened a runaway engine could result. The engine would consume the crankcase oil as fuel, at high RPM, creating excessive crankcase pressures that result in more bypass of oil, and so on, and so on, until the supply is exhausted. A very bad thing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I thought I'd finish up this dipstick story. When we got down to Miami, I bought a new Yanmar dipstick from Anchor Marine over on the Miami River. It was $68. (Ouch.) The measured distance from the bottom of the rubber stopper to the top fill line was 106.5mm. At the next oil change I installed a Baldwin B168 filter and dumped in 5 liters of oil. That overshot the top fill mark by about 2mm. I let it ride.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
George Town, Exuma

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bill, great info about our engines. The capacities mentioned are consistent with my memory. I've got two dipsticks. I'll check them both and record measurement you list.

Ours are pretty high compression engines compared to the other yanmars, like 3gm, if I'm not mistaken. How long it take to get that mil back under full line? Mine does something with oil, guessing it's burned, but exhaust is clear.

Good engine. I'm returning from vietnam next week after a winter away and headed to boat. What's best method for getting some lube circulating after sitting for so long? Pull kill switch and crank for a few sec? That's easy anyway.

Gotta do those mounts. Guess I'll lay off the motor and sail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.