SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Interesting but why not install gauges?
I substantially prefer gauges, but retrofitting can be more than a simple swap. I believe senders can also need replacing in many circumstances, not to mention real estate for a bigger panel.

Reading the OP's post made me recall a bilge alarm going off while I'm in the middle of the entrance to Block Island's Great Salt Pond. Its a man made cut in the beach that is very narrow and long and it is commonly like a two way city street, with a dozen boats at a time. And here I'm listening to a sounding alarm and wondering if I'm going to take up residence at the bottom of the channel and shut the whole harbor down. !!!!! :oops:

My wife runs below and pulls up the floor boards and doesn't see any water anywhere. The alarm is still going off. Not convinced, she keeps looking. We get inside and drop the hook, hearts pounding. I find it was not the high water float switch, rather the electronic switch that is to detect when the bilge pump runs too long. IOW, it may be keeping up and water is not high, but you should know there is a constant ingress. Something was screwy in it's electronic brain, so I simply disconnected it. Heart rate came down about an hour later.............

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
If I could only have one real gauge, I'd want coolant temp. You can avoid many bigger problems, by noticing a 5 or 10 degree rise in temp. Partially clogged seastrainers, impeller has lost a blade, heat exchanger is scaled, etc. I even found my engine room ventilation fan had stopped working underway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.