SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Pearson 28-2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in three years I have been motoring along in my happy little world only to have the engine panel buzzer go off and ruin my attempt at an otherwise uneventful day. Each time it reliably happened when I was single handed and long into a couple day trip, but thankfully in fair weather and at a location where the pre-diagnosis precautionary shutdown gave me plenty of safety margin room from hazards while I lost steerage and scampered to raise the canvas in case the wind decided to make an appearance and help (as expected, it didn't).

Each occasion once I got things settled, when I looked at the B panel to see which idiot light was on... in the sun, with the perfect sun angle on the panel... with the tiny hard to read lettering and icons on the indicator windows... I had that "dammit which light means what?" few moments of lost time and frustration.

Given all the mnemoics we use in aviation, a dim light flickered in my head and it occurred to me: duh... from left to right (and the panel only uses the three on right of the six panels) they are Water temp, Oil pressure, and Electrical charge. Or as I refer to them, "W.O.E.", especially given if one of them illuminates with the buzzer to get your attention, while you are otherwise blissfully motoring along, you may be in for a little woe... or at least excitement.

Fortunately each case was rising water temp due to the strainer fouling from vegetation and crap and it was a quick fix and I was back on my way. But I detested those moments of uncertainty trying to read the idiot light, squinting and trying to read the thing.

Thought I'd pass that along for anyone who might benefit. I would be surprised if someone else hasn't also thought of this, and if so, credit to them.

Regards

Ben

·
Registered
Pearson 28-2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, would be nice to have a clean install panel with gauges of systems of interest. But for a factory Pearson 28-2 I’ve invested in other care and mx. Maybe some day…. Meanwhile, operating limits are what they are. Gauge or idiot light - things are either working within limits or they aren‘t.

·
Registered
Pearson 28-2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sound reasoning for sure. Agree that if I had just one meaningful gauge, it‘d be water temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts